Dennis
Dennis, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,Ford Diesel Technician,ASE Master Technician,34 Years Ford Experience
13089353

2001 F250, the transmission is shifting hard into second gear,

2001 F250, the transmission is shifting hard into second gear, I have to play with the gas pedal to get it to shift and it shifts hard sometimes, runs perfect after that. It started when I was on slick pavement and switched on the 4WD, it banged and made some noises for about a day, none now. Can here a wining sound when I am stopped.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-How many miles are on your Ford?

-What have you already tried?
-Is the check engine light on?
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
120,000 miles, I haven't tried anything yet, not really knowing what to do. No check engine light on.
Customer I would first check the trans fluid condition should be red or reddish in color. If not, and is brown or burnt smelling, internal damage is probable. Dropping the trans pan and checking for damage should be done. There is a TSB that could be related to your problem. The intermediate one way clutch and drum could be damaged. Below is a TSB relating to your shift concern. Hope this answers your queation and the info was helpful. Please accept this answer and give feedback. Thank you.

Printable View (88 KB)
TSB
01-13-5
  • TRANSMISSION - 4R100 - DELAYED OR NO 2ND GEAR - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0781, P0755 AND/OR P0756 - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4R100 TRANSMISSION WITH TRANSMISSION BUILD DATES BETWEEN 7/27/2000 AND 3/23/2001 ONLY
Publication Date: JUNE 26, 2001

FORD:2001 E SERIES, EXCURSION, EXPEDITION, F-150, SUPER DUTY F SERIES, SUPER DUTY F-53 STRIPPED CHAS.
LINCOLN:2001 NAVIGATOR

ISSUE:

Some 2001 vehicles equipped with 4R100 transmission, having a transmission build date between 7/27/2000 and 3/23/2001, may exhibit an intermittent, delayed or no second gear condition. Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) that may be set with this concern are P0781 (1-2 shift error), P0755 (shift solenoid B malfunction) and P0756 (shift solenoid B performance). This may be caused by the Intermediate One Way Clutch (mechanical diode style) not operating properly.

ACTION:

Verify condition, follow normal diagnostics per the appropriate Workshop Manual. If diagnostics leads to the described condition, replace the Intermediate One Way Clutch (OWC) (mechanical diode style 7A089), Intermediate Brake Drum (7D044) and Intermediate Clutch internally splined friction plates (7B164). Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify above "ISSUE". Refer to Figure 1 for replacement components. Refer to the appropriate Workshop Manual for Transmission Disassembly and Assembly procedures. If contamination is present, a full disassembly and cleaning will be required. Follow all the normal service procedures as indicated in the appropriate Workshop Manual.

NOTE:MAKE SURE ALL MATING COMPONENTS LISTED ARE CHANGED. THE MATING COMPONENTS OF THE TWO DESIGN ONE WAY CLUTCHES (7A089) ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. IF ALL THE COMPONENTS ARE NOT CHANGED, INTERNAL TRANSMISSION DAMAGE MAY RESULT.

NOTE:THE MECHANICAL DIODE DESIGN ONE WAY CLUTCH, DID NOT USE A #7 THRUST WASHER. THERE ARE NO MACHINED SLOTS IN THE INTERMEDIATE BRAKE DRUM FOR THE THRUST WASHER TABS. THE SPRAG DESIGN ONE WAY CLUTCH MUST BE USED WITH A #7 THRUST WASHER. THE INTERMEDIATE BRAKE DRUM USED WITH THE SPRAG OWC DESIGN HAS SLOTS MACHINED IN THE DRUM FOR THE #7 THRUST WASHER TABS.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
E9TZ-7A089-BIntermediate OWC (Sprag Design) - All
1C3Z-7B164-BAIntermediate Clutch Plates, Friction (Internal Spline) - All
YC3Z-7D044-AAIntermediate Brake Drum (4 Plate) - 5.4L And 6.8L
YC3Z-7D044-BAIntermediate Brake Drum (5 Plate) - 7.3L Only
F3TZ-7G401-AThrust Washer #7 - Intermediate OWC - All

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I was afraid that it may be something like this, but wanted to verify. Thanks for your fast response and answer.

Dean

Customer Good luck and thanks for the feedback. Dennis