AlvinC
AlvinC, Ford Technician
Experience:  With Ford 20+years as Dealership Technician Ford Senior Master Technician Gas and Diesel
10384837

1997 FORD THUNDERBIRD: THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT CAME..V

Customer Question

THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT CAME ON IN MY 1997 FORD THUNDERBIRD 4.6 V/8 . WHAT ARE THE POSSIBILITES THAT MAY BE CAUSING THIS PROBLEM?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AlvinC replied 8 years ago.
Customer Hi this is Al, Your most likely cause would be a DPFE sensor, but I would not suggest replacing any parts without retieving the codes to be certain, Most part stores will read the codes for free. If you can give me the codes I can give you a certain answer, Al
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

AL,

PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME THE CODES, AND HOW TO ACCESS THEM SO THAT I CAN GET HELP FROM A PARTS STORE.

Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 8 years ago.
OBD II CODE READER WITH CAN
Cen-Tech
94169-3VGA
$44.99
$39.99

you would need a code reader here is a inexpensive one available at www.harborfreight.com

the obd2 connector is located under the drivers dash you will need a code reader to access codes

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

THE CODE READER STATED THAT #4 CYLINDER IS MISFIRING. IS THIS

A BAD SPARKPLUG?

Expert:  AlvinC replied 8 years ago.
Customer That helps greatly, This why I suggested getting codes before doing anything. The 4.6 had issues with the sparkplug boots leaking inside the head. I would suggest replacing the plugs and wires. Basically a tune-up and clear the code and you should be good to go, Al