lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

2004 F350 6.0 Liter Diesel runs rough at cold start. Runs fine after warmup

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomerthis is lostrider, thank you for your question, this is a common concern on the 6.0 ltr engines, Ford has come out with a new calibration to help this concern, what is causing the problem is the spool valves inside the Injectors is sticking and causing the rough run concern until the engine heats up and the valves stop sticking until the next cold start, There is probly already some bad injectors in the truck, but you need to see the Dealer and have the Calibration done on the modules and then drive the truck for a few days and see if the problem still exist, if so then the missing cylinders will need to have new Injectors replaced, here is a copy of the Service Bulletin for you, Hope this helped.
TSB
08-26-3
  • 6.0L DIESEL - DRIVEABILITY - NO START, HARD START, RUNS ROUGH - FUEL INJECTION CONTROL MODULE DIAGNOSIS
Publication Date: December 12, 2008

FORD:2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2007 F-Super Duty
2004-2009 E-350, E-450, E-550

This article supersedes TSBs 04-18-6 and 07-5-4 to update the repair sequence, FICM_MPWR check, symptoms and additional diagnostic information.

ISSUE:

Some 2003-2005 Excursion, 2003-2007 F-Super Duty and 2004-2009 E-Series vehicles equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may experience no starts, hard starts or rough running when cold and may be accompanied with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0611, P1378 and / or all 8 injector circuit codes. These symptoms may lessen or disappear when the engine is warm. These conditions may be caused by the Fuel Injection Control Module (FICM) or injector spool valve sticking internally during cold engine operation.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE TIPS

A failed FICM module can cause diagnostic trouble codes related to injectors even when the injectors or injector wiring are not at fault. The FICM module should be checked for proper operation before evaluating injector operation or wiring issues.

For information: Symptoms of stiction (These conditions are caused by the injector spool valve sticking internally during cold engine operation engine oil temperature) can be improved by using the lightest possible specified weight oil during winter months. Refer to the Owner Guide Information - Diesel Supplement / Maintenance and Specifications / Engine oil specifications. After confirming that the appropriate weight oil is being used, evaluate the injector operation according to Step 13 of the Service Procedure.

Information On The FICM TEST:

An improperly operating vehicle battery(s) or charging system can cause additional operating loads to the internal components of the FICM module, due to low power supply voltages. Glow plug operation, vehicle accessories (factory and non-factory installed), and hot and cold temperatures can also put additional requirements on the vehicles electrical, battery and charging system. This can result in shortened FICM module component life.

The FICM module contains two major internal components, the main circuit board and a DC-DC converter. The DC-DC converter is the device that amplifies battery voltage to 48 volts (V) to operate the injectors. Two major test entry conditions listed below are critical to accurately test the FICM DC-DC converter:

Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) Less Than 68 °F (20 °C)

The calibration in the FICM uses a pre-cycle mode during Key On Engine Off (KOEO) / glow plug operation. This mode is used to rapidly heat the injector spool valve and prevent sticking during cold operation. During this mode, the electrical demand on the FICM DC-DC converter is near maximum.

L_PWR >= 11.5 V

The target 48 V output of the DC-DC converter is directly affected by the battery supply voltage, or B+. This is measured internally to the FICM with the FICM_VPWR PID. Ensuring both of the above criteria are met before conducting the FICM_MPWR test will prevent incorrect readings, misdiagnosis and replacement of good parts.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Verify the battery and charging system are functioning properly. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 414-00 for diagnosis and repair. If the battery cannot maintain a good charge, it will affect the operation and testing of the FICM, as the FICM is an amplifier and has to work much harder to compensate for low battery voltage.
  2. Install Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) and retrieve the FICM calibration information by selecting:
    • Toolbox
    • Powertrain
    • OBD Test Mode
    • Mode 9
  3. If the FICM contains one of the following files then it has already had the Inductive Heat calibration installed:
    • ARZ2AH00
    • ARZ2AL00
    • ARZ2AL01

NOTE:RECORD FICM CALIBRATION NUMBER PRIOR TO PERFORMING PROGRAM MODULE INSTALLATION (PMI) AS IT WILL BE REQUIRED LATER IN STEP 11.

4. After checking the FICM calibration info, perform a PMI on the FICM. This should be done even if the FICM already had one of the three (3) calibrations listed above.
  5. Disconnect the glow plug control module (GPCM) power wire C1249A, circuit 361 (RD) from the passenger side battery. (Figure 1) This also disconnects the alternator to minimize power draw from the batteries and provide more consistent FICM testing.

NOTE:THIS WILL SET GPCM CODES THAT NEED TO BE CLEARED BEFORE RETURNING THE VEHICLE TO THE CUSTOMER.

graphic
    Figure 1 - Article 08-26-3

6. Set up IDS to test FICM power by selecting:
    • EOT
    • B+
    • FICM_LPWR
    • FICM_MPWR
    • FICM_VPWR
  7. After the glow plug wait to start light is off, monitor EOT.
    1. If EOT is less than 68 °F (20 °C) go to Step 8.
    2. If EOT is higher than specified use the Instrumentation Gauge Tester 014-R1063 or equivalent to simulate a cold engine by:
      1. Ignition off.
      2. Disconnect EOT sensor Connector C104.
      3. Connect the one lead of the instrument gauge tester to the EOT sensor connector C104-1, circuit 357 (GY/RD), harness side and the other lead of the instrument gauge tester to the EOT sensor connector C104-2, harness side circuit 354 (LG/RD).
      4. Set the Gauge Tester to 80,000 ohms.

NOTE:IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO CONFIRM THE GAUGE TESTER SETTINGS WITH AN OHMMETER TO ENSURE THAT THE GAUGE TESTER IS IN THE CORRECT POSITION. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THIS CHECK MAY RESULT IN INACCURATE TEST RESULTS.

8. Turn key to run KOEO and check the B+ PID.
    1. If B+ is not at least 11.5 V, then charge batteries and return to Step 1.
    2. If B+ is greater than 11.5 V, go to Step 9.
  9. Verify the following voltages and states. Use the FICM ERROR STATE CHECKS chart below.

Table for Step 9 - FICM ERROR STATE CHECK
    FICM_ LPWRFICM _MPWRDTCCheck
    11.5MIN 45 VNoneFICM diagnostics - proceed to Step 11b
    0MIN 45 VP1378FICM LPWR fuse (15 amp) - proceed to Step 10
    0Less than 45 VP0611, P1378FICM relay, 50 amp fuse - proceed to Step 10

10. Disconnect the three (3) FICM connectors and inspect condition of connector, pins, and wiring at the connector, paying close attention for wiring chafes. Repair any issues and reevaluate vehicle, if the condition is corrected go to Step 11. If the condition is still present continue to Step 10a.

NOTE:SOME COMMON CHAFING LOCATIONS ARE: UPPER LEFT VALVE COVER, VALVE COVER BOLT, AND INTAKE BOLTS, UNDER AND NEAR THE FICM.

1. With a voltmeter check the following:
      1. Check for B+ voltage at pin 27 of connector 1388C and ground pins 1, 2, 3, 22 and 26, with the KOEO. (Figure 2 at end of article)
        1. If no, or low voltage is present, repair as necessary.
        2. If B+ is present, proceed Step 10a(2).
      2. Check for B+ voltage between pins 4, 7, 8, 23, 24, 25 and ground. (Figure 2 at end of article)
        1. If no or low voltage is found at any pin, repair as necessary.
        2. If B+ is present at all pins, replace the FICM, reference WSM 303-14B-1, reconnect the GPCM power and EOT connector, clear codes, and return vehicle to customer.
  11. With IDS still connected, cycle key to off position and then to on position within 2 seconds to start injector pre-cycle. While the injectors are cycling (glow plug Wait to Start Light is on), record the lowest observed FICM_MPWR.
    1. If FICM_MPWR drops below 45 V, replace and reprogram the FICM (WSM 303-14B), reconnect GPCM power, EOT connector if it was removed to perform the test using the Instrument Gauge Tester and return vehicle to the customer.
    2. If FICM_MPWR stays above 45 V or greater, the DC-DC converter is good, perform the following:
      1. If the FICM did not have one of the three calibrations listed in Step 3, then it did not have the Inductive Heat feature. Since the PMI performed in Step 4 programmed this calibration into the FICM, it will now address any stiction concerns. If the vehicle functions normally, reconnect GPCM power and EOT connector if it was removed to perform the test using the Instrument Gauge Tester and return vehicle to the customer.
      2. If the FICM already had one of the three calibrations listed in Step 3, then injector stiction is not the concern, proceed to Step 12.
  12. Reconnect GPCM power and EOT connector if it was removed to perform the test using the Instrument Gauge Tester.
  13. Perform KOEO injector electrical self test as outlined in the Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) Section 2.

PART NUMBERPART NAME
4C3Z-12B599-AARMFICM Module

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

Click Accept if you agree with the answer and Always leave a FEEDBACK!!!

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good Information. I took the truck into the dealership and had the PCM reprogrammed.

Thanks.

Jim E. Wright

Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome.