Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

How do I drain and fill a Ford 9 inch rear and how much gear

How do I drain and fill a Ford 9 inch rear and how much gear oil shoud go in from empty.

HiCustomer

For the Ford 9 in. rear axle, remove the oil with a suction gun through the filler hole. The lubricant level should be maintained to the bottom of the fill hole with the axle in its normal running position. If lubricant does not appear at the hole when the plug is removed, additional lubricant should be added. Use hypoid gear lubricant SAE 80 or 90.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Shawn, I don't find a filler hole on the center section. There is a rubber hose from the axel housing up throught the body somewhere but I can't locate it on this 68 Shelby convertible. Should I drill a hole in the center section and if so after draining how much fluid should go back in or is there a spot I should make the hole to know that when it is flush there is enough fluid?

HiCustomer

We used to remove the entire carrier assembly, drop the driveshaft and remove the carrier assembly, there should be a fill plug on the carrier assembly.

graphic

HiCustomer

Rear differential fluid capacity is 2 1/2 quarts.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You didn't say if 2 1/2 quarts will fit in the housing before the pumkin is back in place. What do you think about making a fill/drain hole and where would the best location for it to be to avoid conflict with the innards?

HiCustomer

There has to be a fill plug on this look on the back side of the housing also.

HiCustomer

Here is a picture where most are being relocated

graphic