chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

2002 Ford Escape: the brake light fuse..drivers side..under hood

Customer Question

Where is the brake light fuse in a 2002 Ford Escape? I know their are fuses on drivers side and one under hood. But i do not know which one is the brake light fuse.
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

The fuse for your stop lamps is fuse number F2.24 in the interior fuse panel

graphic

graphic

any more info on this just ask, we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks - I need to check fuse before I buy a brake light switch, Not sure which one is bad. Brake lights do not work but the brake light at top is still working
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Well- if you take look at the wireing pic I sent you ,,when you step on the brake pedal power is sent to the third brake lamp bulb and both left and right stop lamp bulbs,,,,so from this we can tell that the brake lamp switch is good and the fuse for the stop lamps is also good

I think we are looking at two bad bulbs for the left and rear stop lamps,,,, open the rear liftgate and remove the screws for the rear tail lamp lens and remove the bulbs for the stop lamp bulbs, hold the bulbs up to a light and see if there is any tinting on the bulb ,,this is a sign that the bulb is bad ,,,other then that we are looking at a wireing problem

tell me what you find with the bulbs ,,or if you need help getting the rear tail lamp lens off

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have already changed both bulbs. The right brake light went out first and by the time I got home from work the 2nd was out
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Well--both rear left and right stop lamp do share the same ground ,,,to see if the ground is good ,,,can you tell me if the parking lamp of that bulb for the stop lamp works ok ..

the bulb for the stop lamp also has another element in it for the parking lamps,, so if that works then we know the ground for the bulb is ok ,,so turn on the headlamps and tell me if that side of the bulb works ok

Chris