Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.

How do you check the transmission fluid on a 2002 Ford Explorer

How do you check the transmission fluid on a 2002 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 liter engine
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

There is no trans fluid dipstick on your truck. To check the fluid the center plug in the drain plug needs to be removed to see if fluid is flowing out. If it is then it's full. The trans is also filled through this plug with an adpater. You will also need a scan tool to monitor the trans fluid temp as the fluid needs to be checked at 80-100 degress F.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this something a backyard mechanic could do our do I have to take it to a transmission shop
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.
I would recommend going to a shop. It does not have to be a trans shop persay and most shops will have some kind of warranty for any repair that they do.