mustangmike
mustangmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  13YRS AS A FORD CERTIFIED TECH, PRESIDENTS AWARD WINNER FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION EVRY YR SINCE 1996

1994 Ford Taurus GL: blowing..braking circuit..bulbs

Customer Question

I have a 1994 Ford Taurus GL that is blowing a 20 amp fuse which protects the braking circuit. There are 3 wires on the Non-hot side. The bulbs on the back dash are burned out. Are these three wires going directly to the brakes or do they go thru a relay and the circuitary in the steering wheel?
Category: Ford
Expert:  mustangmike replied 5 years ago.

I have looked through the wiring diagram for your taurus and I don't see a 20amp fuse for any of the antilock braking components, i see a 30amp and 10amp in the engine compartment and a 10amp in the interior fuse panel.

maybe you could give me a little more info.

thanks

mike

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I spoke with my son and he says it was a 15 Amp fuse when he first saw it (he bought it used). Therefore, it may have been a 10amp before. This fuse is in the interior fuse panel.

there is a 15 amp fuse that goes from the brake pedal switch to the abs module.

theres also a 10amp fuse that goes to the instrument cluster for the abs light in the cluster.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do have the wiring diagram for the complete circuit (ABS, Brake Pedal switch, Steering column mechanisim, and brake light circuitary). Thanks!
the ford sight won't let techs download the 10 page pdf file of the wiring diagram just for the abs system, are you having problems with the brakes or the tailights, and what do you mean by steering column mechanism?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I made a copy of the wiring diagram (just the one page showing the fuses and the ABS module). The problem is on the 15 amp fuse circuit that has a fuse inside the car panel. Everytime the brake pedal is pressed it blows the fuse. I think at this point it is best to have the shops do a diagnostic check since there are many areas where there could be a problem.
it's mostly is caused by the wiring for the brake pedal switch, i would look under the dash and see if the red and light green wire is shorted to anything between the switch and the abs modules.