Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.

How to do you change the fuel pump in a 1999 Ford Contour

How to do you change the fuel pump in a 1999 Ford Contour?

Hello and welcome to

You will need to lower the fuel tank to replace the pump. If you remove the rear seat cushion you will see an access to the pump. The problem is the hole in the floor is a little to small. You can cut away at the floor to give yourself enough room to remove the fuel pump. If you do cut out the floor be very carefull of the wiring harnes and the fuel lines.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there anyway else to get to the fuel pump besides removing the rear car seat and cutting a hole in the floor?
The other way is to lower the fuel tank which is not easy if you do not have a lift or anything to support the tank. I can send you the procedure to remove the tank.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will you go ahead and send the procedure? My son is going to try and repair the fuel pump for me tomorrow and I'm trying to get whatever information I can for him to make it easier.

Curious, for the last 8 months or so, my car periodically would not start after stopping and going into a store for about 15 minutes. After it sat for about 30 minutes or so, it would start and run fine for another 3 months or so. Lately, it has been doing it more and more, and tonight, it did it again but this time, would not start back up again.

Do you think it is the fuel pump or could it be something else? It sounds like it wants to turn over but it doesn't.

It does sound like the fuel pump from your description as the pump most likely is not running once it gets hot. To verify this a fuel pressure gauge will need to be installed to see if you have fuel pressure when the engine is not starting. You should also see if the theft light is flashing fast when the engine is not starting as this is the PATS system preventing the engine from starting.

Here is the procedure to remove the tank. The rear seat cushion will need to be removed to access the connector and fuel lines. To remove the lines you need to squeeze the two tabs and lift up on the line. Ford has a specail tool to remove the locking ring but a flat head scredriver and a small hammer will work.

Fuel tank removal

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I will let you know tomorrow if my son is able to get it replaced. He is pretty handy when it comes to car repair but this will be the first fuel filter that he has replaced.

Your welcome.

Let me know how you make out and if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Any suggestions on getting the ring off? He is beating it with a hammer and screwdriver but it is not budging.
Ford has a special tool but you can just tap it off the retainer with a screwdriver and small hammer.