lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

How difficult is it to change a turbo Y pipe on a 2005 Ford

Customer Question

How difficult is it to change a turbo Y pipe on a 2005 Ford F350 w/ a 6.0 powerstroke diesel
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomerthis is lostrider, its a fairly rough job, tight area to work in, here is the procedure if you want to attempt the repair, hope this helps.

Turbocharger Inlet Y-Pipe

Material
ItemSpecification
High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant
XL-2
ESE-M12A4-A

NOTE: The names turbocharger inlet Y-pipe and turbocharger adapter pipe refer to the same component.

graphic
ItemPart NumberDescription
1 6K682 Turbocharger
2 8287 Clamps
3 W300006 Turbocharger inlet Y-pipe bolt (2 required)
4 W300051 Turbocharger inlet Y-pipe nuts (6 required)
5 6K854 Turbocharger inlet Y-pipe (LH)
6 W300013 Turbocharger inlet Y-pipe bolts (4 required)
7 6N640 Turbocharger inlet Y-pipe gasket
8 6K854 Turbocharger inlet Y-pipe (RH)

Removal

1. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
  1. Remove the turbocharger.
  1. Remove the fuel injector control module (FICM).
  2. Remove the retaining nuts and the rear FICM bracket from the LH valve cover.
  1. graphicNOTE: There is a metal gasket between the exhaust inlet pipe and the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) cooler.

Remove the turbocharger inlet Y-pipe-to-EGR cooler clamp by opening up the clamp, pushing the clamp down, positioning the bottom of the clamp toward the EGR cooler and then positioning the top of the clamp toward the EGR cooler.
  1. graphicRemove the LH turbocharger inlet Y-pipe-to exhaust manifold nuts.
  1. Remove the RH turbocharger inlet Y-pipe-to exhaust manifold nuts.
  1. Remove the turbocharger inlet Y-pipe.

Installation

NOTE: When installing the turbocharger inlet Y-pipe into the vehicle, do not bend or twist the flex bellows.

NOTE: Only tighten the turbocharger inlet Y-pipe fasteners with hand tools.

1. NOTE: Do not tighten the nuts at this time.

NOTE: Apply anti-seize lubricant to the turbocharger inlet Y-pipe bolts.

If the turbocharger inlet Y-pipe was separated, install the gasket and loosely install the bolts and nuts.
  1. Position the turbocharger inlet Y-pipe in the vehicle.
  1. NOTE: Do not tighten the clamp at this time.

Install the metal gasket on the EGR cooler and align the turbocharger inlet Y-pipe to the EGR cooler. Position the clamp.

NOTE: LH shown, RH similar.

Apply anti-seize lubricant to the turbocharger inlet Y-pipe bolts, then install the bolts and nuts.
  1. Install the turbocharger.
  2. If loosened, tighten the turbocharger inlet Y-pipe nuts at the RH to LH joint.
    • Tighten to 27 Nm (20 lb-ft).
  1. Install the rear FICM bracket and nuts to the LH valve cover.
    • Tighten to 8 Nm (71 lb-in).
  1. Install the FICM.
  1. Check the system for leaks.
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the info the local Ford $1200 for labor only and I just wanted to see how much work was involved to do this job.

Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
your welcome.