Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech

I have a Ford F350 7.3 L powerstroke diesel. The truck will

I have a Ford F350 7.3 L powerstroke diesel. The truck will start, drives and dies and/or start loosing power after about 5 miles. When I turn it off and wait for about 10 to 15 mins, truck will start and drive and the problem starts again after another 5 miles of driving. I replaced the CPS, Fuel pump, Fuel Filter and cleaned the fuel tank. Still no improvements. Could you please help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
Does it feel like it is running out of fuel?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, it feels like it is running out of fuel, Also the fuel pump is getting very hot.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
Ther are two small screens in the fuel pickup in the tank that become pugged and cuase the fuel pump to starve for fuel and get hot,to clean them you need to remove the sending unit assy,here is a picture of the unit,it is #3,you can temporarily clean the out by removing the suction line from the pump and with the filler cap off blow compresed air gently back down the line.
SECTION 310-00: Fuel System - General Information - Gasoline and Diesel2002 F-Super Duty 250-550/Excursion Workshop Manual
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATIONProcedure revision date: 05/23/2001

Fuel System - Diesel Engines

Component Location-Diesel

ItemPart NumberDescription
1 9F593 Fuel injector
2 9155 Fuel filter (heater and water separator assembly)
3 9275 Fuel sending unit
4 9002 Fuel tank (midship shown)
5 9C407 Fuel pump and isolator assembly (electric frame mount)

The fuel system for the 7.3L direct injection turbo (DIT) diesel:

• is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM).
  • utilizes an electric, frame mounted fuel pump.
  • incorporates a fuel filter and water separator assembly.
  • incorporates an internal check valve with a built-in orifice that will bleed off system pressure approximately ten minutes after the pump is shut off.

The electric fuel pump:

• draws fuel from the fuel tank.
  • circulates fuel under pressure through the fuel filter and water separator and the pressure regulator to the cylinder head fuel galleries and to the fuel injectors.

Excess fuel is returned to the fuel tank through the fuel return hose.

Fuel Filter/Water Separator

The diesel engine is equipped with a fuel filter and water separator assembly. Drain the water from the fuel filter at the recommended maintenance intervals. Refer to the Service Guide for the maintenance intervals.

A water in fuel indicator on the instrument panel will alert the operator. When the indicator glows continuously while the engine is running, drain the water from the fuel filter and water separator bowl as soon as possible to prevent damage to the fuel injection system. For additional information, refer to Draining - Fuel Filter Water in this section.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>I cleaned the guaze when I cleaned the tank and I clened the gauze again. Like I said the truck starts and drives fine for about 5 miles. Also there is a relay that gets very hot.</p><p>Can a intertia switch partially close and restricted fuel?</p>
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
The inertia switch is just that a switch it is either on or off.When you say you cleaned the gauze,do you mean the two small screens in side the pickup?Where is the relay that is getting hot?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes I cleaned the fuel screens in the fuel tank. The relay is the fuse box
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
I suggest you have a fuel restrictiion and a fuel pressure test performed,the fuel restriction test is a guage hooked in the suction side and measures the vacuum created when the pump is sucking fuel,it should have no more than 2" of vacuum.The fuel pressure should be around 50psi.When it dies how long do you have to crank it to restart?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it starts right up after sitting for some time, and dies after driving about 5 miles. I would crank but it wont start. It will only start after 10 to 15 minutes of rest. Do you think the restriction is before or after the pump?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you said the fuel pressure should be around 50psi, if it is less than 50 what could wrong? I still have to test the pressure
Expert:  Ray M. replied 5 years ago.
If it is a restriction it will be on the suction side.Just a quick thought,is the oil level up,it could be a high pressure oil problem.You should check the level at the resevoir when it quits,it should be about 1" below the top of the cover.A restriction on the suction side or a defective fuel pump are the causes of low fuel pressure.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience: 30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I will try and clean the fuel tank and those two screens again