Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified

1999 Ford Expedition XLT...stuck in park.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
Do the brake lights work on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

after getting 99 expedition home this week decided to change fuel pump and spark plugs and it won't go into gear. The shifter mechanism in the steering column is locked up. Anti=theft light flashes. replaced the brake module, brake lights work.

Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
Was shifter locked up before you worked on the fuel pump and plugs or after?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am a tall man. I also disconnected driver's seat, moved the brackets a couple inches back,and reconnected seat. Seat works fine....does it have a weight sensitive switch...I'm looking for the needle in the haystack.

Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
There are 2 fuses for the shifter interlock. both are showing to be 5amp fuses. Check the brake light switch red and light green wire for power when you push the brakes. The other power wire to the interlock is hot when ever the key is in run position. The interlock will be located on the top of column.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We located the 5 amp fuse that was out and it is now out of park...Thank you very much

Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
If this helped positive feedback is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

we just posted another question, since we've not used your site before I wasn't sure how to go about a 2nd question... I don't know how you go about determining who answers questions, but since you asked if there was anything else this is what i just posted ties together because it was this interior lights problem that caused us to o pull the 5 amp fuse out in the first place.

2nd post : " Interior Lights stay on at all times. Is there a door that looses connection? I pulled the 5amp fuse out and this disconnected interior lights, but it also disabled the shifter interlock. Is there another way to disconnect the interior lights until I can trace the problem or is there a simple solution? We worked with Tim on the shifter problem.

Forgot to mention that this is 1999 Ford expedition.

Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
I replied to the post.