Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

1988 ford f250 with dual tanks transfering fuel from rear tank

Customer Question

1988 ford f250 with dual tanks transfering fuel from rear tank to front tank. I have been told there are check valves that install inline and a bulletin but have not been able to find this information
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
Can you give m ethe VIN number to research this for you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1FTHX26G0JKB55412
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
Your truck should have a fuel tank selector valve on the frame rail. I believe they didnt go to the check valves on the pumps till mid 89. Call the local dealer and ask if it is still available. They should be able to give you the correct part number and possibly a place to get obselete parts from.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Have spent 2 days talking to ford dealers and researching bulletins. I was under the impression that this was common among this generation f-series. everyone remembers the problem but no one has a fix. btw already replaced selector valve thats why I'm here.
Expert:  Tim replied 7 years ago.
It was a common problem the only thing that we did back then to repair that problem was to replace the the fuel selector valve on the rail and some of the trucks had to have fuel valves put on the pumps. The valves come with the pumps now I believe. Does your fuel pumps have the external valves on the pump themselves? You would see the valve where the line attaches to the pump it would attach to the valve and the valve will be attached to the pump.