CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

The armrest on my 1997 E350 van drivers bucket seat is loose.

Customer Question

The armrest on my 1997 E350 van drivers bucket seat is loose. Unzipig the cover reveals only closed cell foam. How to tighten/remove/repair please?
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomerand Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

If you can pull the cover back and pull the foam back slightly, There is a bolt that holds the armrest on the seat.

Here is a picture:

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, this does not look like my seat. I exposed the pivot point by cutting a hole in the foam. What I see is an irregular, stamped head that rotates 90 degrees with difficulty when I grab it with vice grips. It looks like maybe the armrest should be attached to this since I can rotate the shaft only 90 degrees. Perhaps the armrest and the head of the shaft were spot welded together under the head and this is broken. In any event, there is no torx or phillips head slot on the irregular head of the shaft..
Ok, this is the only information that I have for the seat in your E350. I will open the question to another Expert, They will try and help you out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for trying. I see what looks like the stamped/flattened head of a rivet about the size of a nickel - not the head of a bolt. The sheetmetal that comprises the side of the armrest against the seat back is behind or under this stamped head. It moves freely behind the rivet head. The space between the vinyl armrest and the vinyl seat back is very tight - too tight to get a tool in or to see what the shaft looks like from above.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The answer above was prompt and friendly - it just applied to a different type of product.

Nice diagram, but I still can't figure out how to disassemble my armrest to repair it. The diagram is for a different type of seat/armrest.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

RESOLVED. I figured it out myself. You push the armrest in very firmly which disengages a keyed shaft head. Rotate 90 degrees and the armrest comes right off.

How do I get my nine bucks back?