lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

2001 Ford Explorer Sport: the engine, it idols really low and dies

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. When I start the engine, it idols really low and dies. If I give it gas, it's ok, but I shouldn't have to do that. Sometimes when I stop at a Stop Sign in stalls out and dies. Any clue on what the problem could be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-How many miles are on your Ford?
-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It has about 95,000 miles on it. It has a V6 engine. All I've tried is putting a fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank to see if I could clear up some of the corrosion, if that was the issue. I'm pretty sure it's a fuel problem, but I can't pinpoint it down. I'm not very experienced in mechanics, but I "Do It Myself" a lot. I was thinking either the fuel pump or the fuel injectors, but I'm not sure. There's no leaks or anything like that.
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the reply, there are 2 different V6 engines in that year Explorer, is yours a SOHC engine or a OHV engine, does your intake look like this one?graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The intake looks the same, but in the middle section it says 4.0L, but the rest looks the same.

Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX description you gave about what the truck is doing, it sounds like the Idle Air Control Valve is sticking due to carbon, Ford doesn't recommend cleaning the valve, so it will need to be replaced, here is the procedure and the parts price, hope this helps.NOTE : The IAC Valve Assembly is NOT ADJUSTABLE and CANNOT BE CLEANED.

The IAC valve (part of throttle body assembly) has an internal diode on some applications. If the internal diode is measured in crossed terminal position with a digital multimeter, there will be an incorrect or negative reading. It is important that the mating component and harness connectors correctly oriented. Diagnostic procedures emphasize this importance.

The PCM uses the IAC valve assembly to control:
  • No touch start
  • Cold engine fast idle for rapid warm-up
  • Idle (corrects for engine load)
  • Stumble or stalling on deceleration (provides a dashpot function)
  • Over-temperature idle boost.
  • Air Assist to Injectors.
Service and Repair

REMOVAL

NOTE: The 5.0L is shown, the 4.0L SOHC and the 4.0L (push rod) engines are similar.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Battery.

graphic

1. Remove the accelerator control snow shield.

graphic

1. Disconnect the idle air control (IAC) valve electrical connector.

graphic

1. Remove the IAC valve and discard the gasket.

INSTALLATION

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure. NOTE: Install a new IAC valve gasket.

Parts Information
PartOEM PartPrice
Idle Speed/Throttle Actuator - Electronic
Idle Speed ControlYU3Z9F715BA$144.36

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.