JuanS
JuanS, Ford Master Technician
Experience:  Ford employed certified master tech 10yrs. ASE certifications, Think neighbor, Escape/Fusion Hybrid
12752977

2002 Ford Escape XLT: parked..garage - now horn does not work

Customer Question

2002 Ford Escape XLT - horn started beeping while parked in garage - now horn does not work - doesn't beep with lock usage either - all else seems fine
Category: Ford
Expert:  JuanS replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomerThanks for using Justanswer.com

The first thing your going to want to check is fuse #23 on the interior fuse panel. If this is blown your going to want to replace it. When you do replace it the horn might start blowing again. If the horn stays blowing your going to want to check the horn switch( where you push to turn the horn on.) The only problem is that this is located with the air bag, removing air bags should be done by a trained proffesional.
If the horn was beeping on and off that would indicate and alarm or Gem module concern. This would be difficult to diagnose with out the help of scan tool.
If you have anymore questions just ask, we can go back and forth on this page!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The hor blowing wasn't the issue.

The fuse 23 was already checked and was OK.

The horn stated blowing on and off - not sure if it was alrm like - but maybe.

Are there relays involved?

How expensive are GEM modules?

It's weird nothing else is affected that we can find.

Expert:  JuanS replied 7 years ago.
Yes there is a relay in the system it is controlled by either the GEM module or the horn pad. The horn relay is located on the back side of the interior fuse panel. Its small relay underneath 1 other small relay. You can try swapping the two to see if the horn works. Using a test light you can test power at the relay. You should have power on two pins of the relay. Both powers come from fuse 23. If your missing power there, then check power at the fuse 23. If you have both powers there then we are going to have to start to check the Horn switch. Let me know what you find, I can go back and forth with you on this page untill we figure it out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

to be safe on my end - how do I check power - I have a meter -

What points do I check

Let's start on the fuse side which is easier to access

If I pull fuse 23 - I guess one point would be each leg of the fuse and what other point?

Would it be 12volt?

Expert:  JuanS replied 7 years ago.
leave the fuse in don't pull it. On the top of the fuse there will be a small sliver a metal. Put on lead on one metal sliver the other on ground. Then the same with the other sliver. The outside of the cigarette lighter socket makes a great ground. You should have 12v on both slivers of metal. Make sure the key is on!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

There is power to the fuse - must be beyond that.

if it is a realay or GEMS any idea of the cost?

thanks so much

I think I have access to a Ford electronic code reader - what would you expect it to tell me.

Expert:  JuanS replied 7 years ago.
If its a relay, cost won't be much. The diagnostic charge will be more. If its a problem with the GEM labor will be a little more than an hour, the module is dealer specific so i can't get you an actual price... big ballpark est $200 plus labor and diagnostic charge.
The scanner can give you some codes that the GEM module has stored. These codes would be valuable in telling you if there is a ckt problem or an alarm event has triggered the horn. If there was no communication with the module you would know something was wrong with it. I wish I was there to help you, sounds like this is gonna get a little complex for something as silly as a horn.