Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years Dealership experience, Ford Senior Master Technician since 2000, ASE Master since 1985
12316582

Ford ranger: i reset the anti theft..parking brake..hill..wont start

How do i reset the anti theft on a ford ranger, I forgot to put the parking brake on it rolled down the hill and hit a mailbox and now wont start?
Customer

It is probably not an anti-theft problem. You probably tripped the inertia switch on the fuel system. This is just a button to push on the Rh side of the passenger compartment near the firewall or kick panel depending on the year of your ranger. Let me know if this is the case, or the year of your ranger for a better location. If this is not the case let me know if you have an aftermarket anti-theft system.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i dont think its the inertia switch i tried to push the button and it wouldnt push at all and i do not have an aftermarket anti- theft any other ideas?
Customer

Does it crank over?

Any lights on or flashing with the key on that indicate an abnormal condition?

How big of an impact was it?

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it does not crank over and when i open the driver door there is a clicking noise until i insert the key, not to big of an impact no seeable damage and i cant get any systems to come on except the radio no headlights blower doesnt work etc.
Customer

Check your battery connections and check the battery voltage. It sounds like low voltage, these are all signs of this. Let me know. If there is no visible damage I would not think it would have knocked anything loose, but I have seen batteries fail for less reasons before.

Thanks,

Tim