Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers

I have a 1995 FOrd Explorer XLT and I need to replace the Thermostat

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 5 years ago.
Here is the procedure out of the manual, Hope it helps .

Thermostat, Water, 3.0L Aerostar and Ranger
Removal

Drain cooling system.
Remove upper radiator hose (8260) from water outlet connection.
Remove two retaining bolts.
Remove water outlet connection and water thermostat (8575) as an assembly.
Discard gasket. Clean sealing surfaces with gasket scraper. Gouges in aluminum could form leak paths. Use care when scraping thermostat housing-to-gasket mating surfaces.
Installation

Make sure sealing surfaces are totally free of gasket material.
Install water thermostat into thermostat housing as illustrated.
Position gasket onto thermostat housing using bolts as holding devices. Install water thermostat and tighten bolts to 20-30 Nm (14-21 lb-ft).
Install upper radiator hose . Tighten clamp securely.
Fill and bleed cooling system with proper amount and mixture.
Start engine (6007) and check for coolant leaks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry to interupt but I asked about a 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 is it the same?
If it's a 4.0 liter ,use the following:4.0L Engine

Installation

WARNING: DO NOT STAND IN LINE WITH OR NEAR RADIATOR FAN BLADE (8600) WHEN ENGINE IS RUNNING.

CAUTION: The thermostat seal (8590) must be positioned on the water outlet connection before the water thermostat is installed.

To prevent incorrect installation of the water thermostat , the water outlet connection casting contains a locking recess into which the water thermostat is turned and locked. Install the water thermostat with the bridge section in the outlet casting. Turn the water thermostat clockwise to lock it in position on the flats cast into the water outlet connection.

Clean the upper radiator hose connection, cylinder head and water outlet connection surfaces. Coat a new thermostat housing gasket with Perfect Seal Sealing Compound B5A-19554-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M4G115-A. Position the thermostat housing gasket on the cylinder head opening.
It is critical that the correct water thermostat installation alignment be made to provide coolant flow to heater. Insert and rotate water thermostat to the left or right until it stops in the water outlet connection housing, then visually check for full width of heater outlet tube opening to be visible within the thermostat port in assembly.

This port alignment at assembly is required to provide maximum coolant flow to the heater.

Position the coolant water outlet connection against the cylinder head , intake manifold (9424) or water pump (8501) . Install and tighten the retaining bolts to 20-30 Nm (14-21 lb-ft).
Connect the upper radiator hose to water outlet connection.
Fill the cooling system with the recommended Premium Cooling System Fluid E2FZ-19549-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A and water mixture as described in this section. Check for leaks and proper coolant level after the engine has reached operating temperature.
A coolant mixture of 50 percent ethylene glycol and 50 percent water is recommended to maintain best overall performance. To avoid damaging the radiator (8005) , the ethylene glycol should not exceed 60 percent.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks this soounds much better! Is there a diagram that comes with this answer?
Sorry ,unable to upload diagram at this time. I will try and upload later if you still need it.
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience: 30 years with Ford dealers
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate the diagram whenever you get a chance

Thanks again

Here are the diagrams.:graphicgraphic