Scottdagoalie
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience:  30 years with Ford dealers
13762030

2002 f350: front wheel bearing..the 4x4 locking hub

I have a 2002 f350 4x4 duel wheel farm truck. I need to replace the front wheel bearing on the right side. I took the retaining ring off the 4x4 locking hub but, cant get the plasitic hub lock to pull off. Also the extender for the wheel seems to be stuck I have removed the caliper and the 8 bolts that hold the extender on but it wont budge. Is the 4x4 hub keeping it from comming off? It wouldnt appear to from the pictures I have in the manual. Thanks...Paul
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scottdagoalie replied 6 years ago.
The hub does come off hard,I've had good luck cleaning around inside of metal area with a good penetrating oil,then if you tap on it with a mallet as you pull on it. It usually takes some working back and forth .This should'nt prevent extender from coming off .After you get hub off,there is a snap ring on the axle shaft that will enable hub removal.Hub will need to be unbolted from spindle.Hope this helps.Let me know if you need more info.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try it tonight and see if it will break free...Paul
graphicgraphic

Removal

All vehicles

1. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04.
  1. NOTE: Caliper is removed for clarity.

Position aside the front disc brake caliper and anchor plate (2B292).
    1. Remove the two front disc brake caliper anchor plate bolts.
    1. Remove the front disc brake caliper anchor plate and position aside.
  1. NOTE: Carry out this step for F-250 and F-350 4x4 SRW vehicles.

Remove the rotor.
  1. NOTE: Carry out this step for DRW vehicles.

NOTE: If excessive force must be used during brake rotor removal, the brake rotors should be checked for lateral runout prior to installation. For additional information, refer to Section 206-00.

Remove the eight hub extender nuts, the hub plate and the rotor.
    1. Remove the eight hub plate nuts.
    1. Remove the hub plate.
    1. Remove the rotor.
  1. Remove the hub lock.
    1. Remove the retainer ring.
    1. Pull outward and remove the hub lock.
  1. Remove the axle shaft thrust washers.
    1. Remove the snap ring.
    1. Remove the three thrust washers.
    MAYBE THESE WILL HELP
Scottdagoalie, Senior Master Tech.
Experience: 30 years with Ford dealers