Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.

2003 ford windstar: The hazard flashers wont shut off

I am looking for a second opinion. I own a 2003 Ford Winstar SEL. The hazard flashers won't shut off. The local Ford dealer said that the dash cluster has to be replaced to the tune of $1100.00. My question is is there anything else that could be wrong? The multi-function switch was removed from the steering column and the flashers still did not shut off.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

The signal from the hazard switch goes to the instrument cluster which via the scp network sends the message to the FEM and REM to activate the front and rear hazards. If the switch was removed and all the hazard lights are on then it sounds like it is the cluster. The dealer should have checked this with the Ford scan tool to see if the hazard switch pid is active. If inactive then the cluster may be internally shorted.