Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  ASE Certified Parts and Service
10675526

1999 Ford Escort: Wagon..2.0L..the fuel pump relay (good), all fuses

Customer Question

1999 Ford Escort Wagon 2.0L 122cid L4 FI (P) has no power at fuel pump. I checked the fuel pump relay (good), all fuses are good, and have installed a new fule pump. Turns over fine but will not start. Any insight? Could the CCRM or the PCM be the problem here?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I would be glad to assist you.

Here are the diagrams that you need:

graphic

graphicThanks

You need to begin by testing the fuel pump driver module (see diagram below):

graphic

graphic

The Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) controls the Fuel Delivery Module (FDM) in a returnless system. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) gets input from the fuel pressure sensor in the fuel rail and temperature readings from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor and the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor. The PCM then sends a duty cycle signal to the FPDM which results in variable speed fuel pump operation.

Check for signal from the Fuel Pump Driver Module to the fuel pump.

Please check this and let me know the outcome.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for helping me out on this. I'm not a real electronics guru so could I ask how I'd test for this signal from the fuel driver module to the fuel pump?

You need to access the fuel driver module and probe the wires that send the signal to the fuel pump.

The two wires are the Blue with Black stripe and Blue with White stripe.

Here is how to test (perform this test on each wire):

1. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position

2. Take a test light and ground it to the body of the vehicle

3. Use the probe on the end of the test light to penetrate the insulation of the wires

4. If the test light illuminates, then the FPDM is good.

5. If they do not light up, then check the other wires.

6. If the other wires don't show power, then there is a problem in the signal being sent from the ECU

7. Next step would be to test inertia switch (fuel cutoff switch)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks dr. I'll test that as well as the inertia switch. I did check the inertia switch initially when I realized that the fuel pump was not kicking on. Will let you know the results. I sure do appreciate your helpfulness, dr.
You're very welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Checked the fuel pump driver module and I have power there. Then moved up to the inertia relay switch and I also have power there (blue wire) and it is not tripped. What would you suggest as the next step, dr? Once again, I thank you for your time here.

That would leave the Powertrain Control Module (Engine Computer).

graphic

graphic

You need to check pin #80 which is the fuel pump control. You also need to check pin #40 which works as the fuel pump relay monitor. If you lack power from either of these pins with the key on then you need to replace the PCM.

The PCM is located under the shifter.

Experience: ASE Certified Parts and Service
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi dr,
Well, I checked for power at pin #80 (white/orange wire) and have power there. Then checked pin #40 (black/red wire) and have power there. The test light blinked steadily on and off on pin #40. Not sure if that just has a pulse signal or not? Anyway, I have power at both of these sources on the PCM. Any other thoughts of wisdom here? I'd be more than happy to up the anti on your fee if we can get this resolved. You've been very helpful, dr. I thank you again for your time and efforts.
There must be some failure in the wiring between the FPDM and the fuel pump if you have power getting out of the FPDM but not making it to the fuel pump. You will need to check the wiring harness between the fuel pump and the FPDM and find the short.