Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I think I have a vacuum leak in my 2001 Ford Explorer SOHC

I have a loss of power, idles lower ( around 550-600 rpm max ) and when its cold out until the engine warms up I hear a whistle noise in or around the engine. When it shifts I see the rpms drop esspecially going up hills, it is like I have a Jake Brake on the engine whenI let off the gas.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. This engine is know to have leaking intake gaskets and will cause the noise your hearing. Usually as the engine warms up the intake will swell and the leak will reseal its self and the noise goes away. The fix in most case is to replace the upper and lower intake gaskets.

First verify if there are any vacuum leaks, use carburetor spray or propane around intake area while monitoring short fuel trims, if major drop in fuel trims while spraying carburetor spray or propane, suspect there is still a vacuum leak.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the PCV valve, tried the IAC , EGR, TPS, and MAF sensors and it did not change the symptoms, so you believe that the intake manifold gasket may be bad?? The explorer has been getting horrible gas mileage ever since this started and every once and a while , while driving at cruising speeds the car will "BUCK" and jerk as if it was thrown into park and then back into drive emediately. Lie hitting a huge pot hole.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Yes at this point I would suspect the intake gaskets as this is a very common concern on this engine and can cause the problems your having due to a lean engine misfire.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs