Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.

I have a 2003 ford taurus, today my engine light was blinking

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford taurus, today my engine light was blinking on my way back to work from my luch break. my car was also jerking while the light was blinking. I made it back to work and let my car sit for about 30 minutes and then I started back up to see if the light would still blink, but instead the engine light was still on but no longer blinking. this is y first car and I don't know what is wrong with my car, can you please assist me in what to do.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

When the check engine light blinks the engine is detecting a missfire. Since the lightis on there will be codes stored in the pcm that will need to be read with a compatible scan tool. You should go to your local parts store or autozone as they will usually scan your vehicle at no charge. If you have missfire codes like P0301...P0306 then I suspect faulty ignition wires and fouled plugs. Let me know how you make out.