CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified

2000 f-350 7.3 lariat dually. question is battery light is on.

2000 f-350 7.3 lariat dually. question is battery light is on. I have checked at battery with a volt meter and it is not charging. Problem 2 alternators. Done tried the tapping on them. How to determine which alternator is bad.
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomerand Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

What you can do with your volt meter is Take the Red lead on the meter and put on the big Orange/Black wire for the Alternator(s). Take the Black lead from your meter and touch it to a ground like the battery or engine block. You should get 14 volts if the alternator is good. This is an easy way to check which alternator is not charging.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
11.69 bottom which is not easy. 11.64 top alt. What about feild coil.
  • Just to be sure, Did you check the power out of the Alternators with the vehcile running?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes i checked it running. If it makes any differance it has the tow package. 2 year old 875 crank amp batterys. Last time this happened I tapped the top alt. with meter hooked up and it would charge and stop which was a given. Rebuilt top alt.good for approx.2 years.

Well, My material for Ford is down right now. But I will let one of the other Experts help you out.