chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

I have a ford focus. The heater is only blowing cold air.

Customer Question

I have a ford focus. The heater is only blowing cold air. What could the problem be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

The first thing we have to check is if the heater core is plugged up or not,, start the car up and wait about 10 min ,, so the engine coolant will get hot ,,,open the hood and there are two coolant hoses that enter the car through the fire wall, they should be at the very rear of the engine compartment in the center of the fire wall ----put your hand on one heater core hose and then the other ,,,both should feel hot ,,,if both feel hot ,,your heater core is ok ----if only one is hot ,,then your heater core is plugged up

tell me what you find , we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have found two silver pipes going from the back in the engine compartment. These are very hard to get to. The metal work around them is getting hot but both pipes are cold.

To help here is some history. The car had a water leak a few months ago that was allegedly fixed. For some time after we noticed water was still dripping from the car when we turned into out parking spot. The garage had another look but stated there was no leek.

I have just noticed that the coolant header tank was empty. Ia just poured 1 and a half large saucepans of water in (about 2 litres)

the car is stull running but no heat as yet from the vents.

Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

take the cap off the coolant reservoir and let the car run for 10-15 min to see if you have air in the coolant system, also rev the engine up to 2000 rpm and hold it there for minute to get the air out and keep an eye of the coolant level if it goes down ,,fill it up ,,,,

if the coolant level is low coolant will not get into the heater core and heat it up

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok, my farther in law and I was looking two different sets of pipes.

should the two BLACK pipes go to the same location in the engine.

I have found two that go into a silver ridged block.

I am going to take the car for a run in the morning.

Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Ok

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Heater now working. Now need to find and fix the leak.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

No problem

Thanks,,Chris