Tim The Ford Tech
Tim The Ford Tech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Senior Master Ford Tech with 10 Years of Professional Ford Experience.

1992 Ford Ranger: Blowing..30A..4.0 Engine..the ECC Power Relay

1992 Ford Ranger Blowing 30A ECC Fuse (4.0 Engine) . Where is the red wire distribution point just after the ECC Power Relay phisically located? Also where is the Idle Air Bypass Valve?? I have disconnected the ECC Module, MAF Sensor, WOT Realy and Purge Sol. but the circuit is still drawing 80Amps. If I could find that distribution point it would make troubleshooting easier as some components are hard to get to to disconnect. (The injectors and the 2 solenoids on the transmission)

That wire splices off all through the harness to various sensors and actuators. Doesn't really have a distribution point. Its most common for the oxygen sensor wiring to blow that fuse. The wires are prone to melt on the exhaust pipes. You're on the right track with the amp meter installed and unplugging things. Start out by disconnection big harness connectors like the big connector that goes to all the o2 sensors and transmission. That will point you in the right direction and save you some time. Dont forget it can be wiring and not a component. Wiggle the wiring harnesses and watch your meter to see if the short goes away. Sometimes a ohm meter with a beeper installed on the red wire and ground with the battery disconnected is the best way to do a wiggle test for short to ground. You won't have to worry about blowing fuses and burning up circuits that way.

If you have anymore questions just ask. If I helped you out please accept the answer.

Thanks, Tim

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Tim

I was afraid that disribution point didn't really exist. Your idea about using the big harness connectors and using the low ohme beeber on my meter should help a lot.