mustangmike
mustangmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  13YRS AS A FORD CERTIFIED TECH, PRESIDENTS AWARD WINNER FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION EVRY YR SINCE 1996
11027379

my 96 mustang gts factory alarm goes off when I try to start

my 96 mustang gt's factory alarm goes off when I try to start the vehicle. It also goes off when it wants to. Seems worse in cold weather. Tried to reset the alarm by jumping the the 2 terminals in the grey connector behind left tail light in trunk - it reset as indicated but still have same issue. Please help!

it sounds like your rke module might be going bad, unfortunately the only true way to test is with the ford scan tool.

i had the same problem on my 94 mustang, uncommanded panic....it drove me crazy until i swapped out the module.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What does rke stand for and where can I get one of these modules if this is the case? Also, is there a way to disable the alarm for winter until next spring? Is this something I can be specific with at Ford or will I have to have them charge me the 1hr labor at $99/hr?

rke stands for remote keyless entry, it's a ford only part, but you can install it yourself.

have you tried just leaving the module unplugged, it should run fine with it unplugged as long as it is a factory ford, and not an aftermarket add on alarm.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So I simply remove the wiring harnasses from the module in the trunk and the car should run fine? Are these modules interchangeable from year to year? If I remove the module, can I take it into Ford and have them test it there? Thank You for your help.

if it is in the trunk it is most likely a factory ford module, and it should still run with it unplugged, it is just for the keyless entry.

i'm not sure if the module is interchangeable between different year mustangs.

it would also have to be in the car for the dealership to test it, theres no way to test it unless it is hooked up to the vehicle.

i hope this helps you

mike

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Mike - I want to thank you for your help. I hope this all works. I also want to apologize as I am a new user to this online help tool. I thought the payment already went through, so I will take care of this right now. One last question - I picked up a replacement RKE that was on a Mercury Sable, any clue as to how I program the keys once I connect the RKE to the vehicle. Thanks again.