lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

How to remove and repace cluch master cyl on a 97 ford ranger

Customer Question

how to remove and repace cluch master cyl on a 97 ford ranger
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomerthis is lostrider here is the procedure to replace the master cylinder, clutch fluid line and to bleed the system, hope this helps.

Clutch Master Cylinder and Reservoir

Removal

1. Disconnect the clutch master cylinder push rod from the clutch pedal (7519) by prying the retainer bushing and push rod off the clutch pedal pin.

1. Remove the clutch pedal position switch (CPP) (11A152) from the clutch master cylinder (7A543). Remove clutch master cylinder reservoir screw from the inner fender panel.

1. Uncouple the line from the clutch slave cylinder.

1. Disconnect line from the mounting clips.

1. Twist the clutch master cylinder 1/8 turn counterclockwise as viewed from the driver's position, while pushing inward toward the driver's position. The rubber dash boot is removed with the master cylinder.

graphic

Installation

1. Bench bleed the clutch master cylinder.

1. Install the push rod through the hole in the engine compartment. Be sure it is located on the correct side of the clutch pedal.

1. Place the clutch master cylinder in position and rotate the body 1/8 turn clockwise as viewed from the driver's position while pushing inward. Install the dash seal into the dash hole and check that it is completely inserted into the hole.

1. Position the clutch master cylinder reservoir on the cowl access cover and install the retaining screws.

1. Replace clutch master cylinder push rod retainer bushing if worn or damaged.

1. Install the clutch pedal position switch.

1. Install the retainer and push rod on the clutch pedal pin with the flange portion of the bushing facing away from the pedal blade of the clutch pedal.

1. Bleed the system. Refer to Insert the coupling end into the clutch slave cylinder, and install line into clip(s).

1. Hydraulic Clutch Controls

graphic

ItemPart NumberDescription
    1 N610959-S301 Screw
    2 7K500 Reservoir Assembly
    3 7C534 Switch
    4 N806750-S Clip
    5 7A543 Clutch Master Cylinder
    A - Tighten to 2-3 Nm
    (18-27 Lb-In)

Clutch Slave Cylinder to Clutch Master Cylinder Tube

SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED
DescriptionTool Number
Clutch Coupling ToolT88T-70552-A

Removal and Installation

1. Raise vehicle on a hoist and position suitable safety stands under vehicle.

1. Disconnect the line from the plastic clip at the floor flange.

1. Uncouple the lower end of the line from the clutch slave cylinder using Clutch Coupling Tool T88T-70552-A by sliding the white plastic sleeve toward the clutch slave cylinder while pulling the line away from the clutch slave cylinder.

graphic

1. Remove the safety stands and lower the vehicle.

1. Remove clutch master cylinder (7A543) and line assembly.

1. Remove and discard the roll pin holding the line to the clutch master cylinder.

1. Disconnect the line from the clutch master cylinder by applying a slight tug on the line pulling away from the clutch master cylinder.

1. Check to be sure the O-ring is still in the outlet port of the clutch master cylinder. If not, replace.

1. Insert the new line into the clutch master cylinder outlet port.

1. Install a new roll pin to secure the line in place at the clutch master cylinder. Check installation by pulling the line away from the clutch master cylinder outlet port.

1. Bench bleed the system as described in

1. If a new line is installed, remove the yellow rubber protective cap and check that the O-ring is in place. Check the master cylinder port to be sure there is no O-ring in the master cylinder before installing the new line. Insert the male coupling end into the female coupling of the clutch slave cylinder (7A508).

• Once the line is attached to the clutch slave cylinder, check that the connection is secure by applying a slight tug to the clutch tube.
  1. Connect the line to the plastic clip at the floor flange.

Bleed Procedure

SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED
    DescriptionTool Number
    Clutch Coupling ToolT88T-70522-A

1. Disconnect the coupling at the transmission with Clutch Coupling Tool T88T-70522-A by sliding the white plastic sleeve toward the clutch slave cylinder (7A508) while applying a slight tug on the clutch tube.

1. Clean dirt and grease from around the reservoir cap.

1. Remove cap and diaphragm and fill reservoir to the step with Ford High Performance DOT 3 Brake C6AZ-19542-AB or DOT 3 equivalent fluid meeting Ford specification ESA-M6C25-A. By hand, apply 22-33 kg (10-15 lbs.) to clutch pedal (7519); if pedal is hard (6-13mm [.25-.50-inch] movement), skip to Step 9. If pedal is spongy, proceed to next step.

1. Using a small screwdriver, depress the internal mechanism of the male coupling to open the valve. While continuing to hold the valve open, slowly depress the clutch pedal to the floor and hold.

1. Remove the screwdriver from the coupling, closing the valve.

1. Release the clutch pedal.

1. NOTE: The reservoir must be kept full at all times to ensure there will be no additional introduction of air into the system.

Refill reservoir to level at step.

1. Repeat Steps 4 through 7.

1. Close reservoir. Reconnect the coupling to the clutch slave cylinder. Check that the connection is secure by applying a slight tug to the clutch tube.

1. Stroke the clutch pedal as rapidly as possible for five to ten strokes.

1. Wait one to three minutes.

1. Repeat Steps 10 and 11 three more times.

1. Loosen bleed screw (located in the slave cylinder body next to the inlet connection).

1. Depress and hold clutch pedal while tightening bleed screw 3-5 Nm (27-44 lb-in).

1. Refill the reservoir to level at step.

1. The hydraulic system should now be fully bled and should properly release the clutch.