Jason Murphy
Jason Murphy, Ford Technician
Experience:  Master Technician
11076326

1989 e-250. inertia switch location? fuel pump relay location?

Customer Question

1989 e-250. inertia switch location? fuel pump relay location? This van runs like a champ. All the suddnen it wont start and I think its not getting fuel. please help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jason Murphy replied 5 years ago.

Your intertia switch is located under your right side of your dash, right around your heater/ac box, on the firewall, or to the right of the firewall.

Your fuel pump relay is one of the relays near your right side fender, near the battery.

Have you checked fuel pressure once the van stalls?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>Ok I think I was wrong about the fuel. I replaced the starter solenoid, the van started up first turn. With the old solenoid it would turn over but not start. Thats why I thought I wasnt getting fuel. </p><p> </p><p>Now the van will start cold but wont start warm or hot. I installed the new solenoid and the van started cold first turn of the key. I took it for a few mile drive and parked it in the driveway. I then tried to restart the van while it was warm. I get nothing, it doesnt even turn over. It has done this to me in the past before this recent solenoid problem. I went away after a few days so I kinda blew it off.</p><p> </p><p>Seems like some sort of electrical problem or short eh? I can't understand why its only a problem when the van is warm or hot and when its cold it starts up no problem. </p>

you could have a starter problem, I would check your voltage at the starter when it is giving you the problem. There are 3 terminals on your starter. The small one is what gives the starter signal to engage. If, when the problem is occuring, you have battery voltage at the small terminal while holding the key to 'start', you will need a starter. If not, your problem is elsewhere. Report back with your findings.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>I replaced the solenoid switch. I said starter solenoid earlier. Don't want to confuse if it is two separate things. </p><p> </p><p>I don't own a multimeter. I will have to try and borrow one from a friend. As soon as I test I will get back to you with the results. If I have no battery voltage on the small terminal when the key is turned to start could it be the starter relay? </p><p> </p><p>When the problem is occuring: I turn key to start and i hear two things. One is something in the rear, my guess would be the fuel pump powering on. The other is like a ping type of noise that sounds like its coming from over on that passenger side where the battery and relays are located. That got me thinking starter relay if that is in fact where a starter relay is located. </p>
Yes, that would definitely be your starter relay clicking. (Fender mounted). They are less than $10 at any local auto parts store, and are very common to go bad. If you haven't replaced that, I would start there.