chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience

1999 Ford Explorer: my front door lock switches..unlock..clues

I have 1999 Ford Explorer my front door lock switches will only unlock the doors same is true with the remote but the tail gate switch will lock and unlock all doors any clues what could be the cause ? Help
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 7 years ago.

Hi there

Take a good look at the wireing pics above ,,,the left front power door lock switch , right front power door lock switch , and the signal for the remotes ,,,for the LOCK signal all run on the same wire ---the PINK / LIGHT GREEN wire

But the rear liftgate power door lock switch has its own wire that is seperate from the other inputs for LOCK

so I think you have a an open in the PINK / LIGHT GREEN input wire from the two front switches and the remote moduale

The place I would start is the left rear door ---open the door and pop off the scuff plate ,,the plastic plate between the carpet and the door opening on the floor ,,,,,under this plate is wireing ---find this PINK / LIGHT GREEN wire there and tap into the wire and ground the wire out to see if the power door locks LOCK -----if they do then you have an open in this wire from there to the front switches ---if it does not then the open is closer to the left rear of the truck ---

Find this wire and perform the test and tell me what you find , we can go back and forth on this page