CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

my 2004 ford explorer will not start, the red security light

my 2004 ford explorer will not start, the red security light stays red on the dash instead of flashing, can we reset the security system or where can we look for the module
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 8 years ago.

Hello kimbaker1 and Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The red security light on the dash is suppose to be steady red when trying to start the vehicle.

• Does the truck do anything when turning the key to start? (Crank, Click.....)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the lights work, the radio works but will not click when you turn the key
What I would first suggest doing is try jumpstarting the vehicle if you have not already, Sometimes if the battery is not strong enough it will only allow the accesories to work and not allow the engine to crank.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we bought a new battery and did try to jump it off as well
Ok, well the next step you would need either a test light or a volt meter and I would check for 12 volts (or the test light lighting up) at the starter. If you have 12 volts at the starter, I would suggest a bad starter. I have seen a few go bad on the Explorer/Mountineer models.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we jumped the starter at the terminals with a screw driver and the motor would turn over but not fire

Was the key in the on position when you jumped th starter?

Make sure the red light on the dash is not blinking when turning the key and steady.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

yes the key was on when we jump started the motor it just would not fire. the red light usually flashes but then goes off when you start the vehicle but the red light stays on without flashing now.

Ok, then the theft system is working properly and it should not be the reason the why the vehicle is not starting. Let me see what I can find in the Ford Manuel.

Ok, I just talked with some of our other experts and here is what we came up with:

This is staright out of the Ford Repair Manual.

PATS uses a visual theft indicator located on top of the instrument panel. This indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to ON or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS problem, this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily (for more than three seconds) when the ignition switch is turned to ON or START. PATS also "flashes" the theft indicator every two seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual theft deterrent.

So it does look like there is a problem with the security or PATS system. It is hard to say what exactly is wrong though. You could have a bad key, bad transponder or bad module.

Unfortunatlly the only thing you can try is this:

If you have 2 programed keys for the vehicle

• Take first key and turn to the on position for three seconds, Then remove key
  • Take second key and turn to the on position for three seconds, Then remove key
  • Wait 10 seconds, and try starting the vehicle.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we only have one key, but if it is the transponder or the module then what? Is there a way to bypass either and get the vehicle running until after the holidays?
Unfortunatlly there is no way to bypass the system. The transponder or the module if bad and replaced would still need a Ford Scan tool to then program the key since you only have one, to the new module. The vehicle will most likely need to be towed. Sorry I couldn't help you out more. If you have any other questions, Just Ask. Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
where is the transponder and module located on the vehicle
The transponder is located on the steering column around the lock cylinder. The trim around the steering wheel will need to be reomved. The Vehicle Security module is located behind the left rear seat behind the trim panel on the right side.