autoservicetech
autoservicetech, Certified Master Auto Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience, technical writer, author and teacher
13669625

2005 Ford Taurus crank angle sensor failing My 2005 Ford

Customer Question

2005 Ford Taurus crank angle sensor failing?

My 2005 Ford Taurus (Vulcan 3.0 L) is making a squealing / chirping sound and seems to have a failing camshaft position sensor / crankshaft position sensor / crank angle sensor.

a. Is there an easy to disassemble the engine to replace this?

b. What is the correct term for this part if I am trying to get a quote or trying to get an mechanic (Ford or independent) to fix it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  autoservicetech replied 8 years ago.

What you are referring to is the cam synchronizer. All it is is a replacement for the distributor that was there years ago. Instead of now having a distributor, there is now a shaft, driven off of the cam, to spin the reluctor for the camshaft position sensor.

It is a common problem, as the bushings wear and allow "timing" to move. It requires a special tool to properly align the new synchronizer, and there is even a TSB on how to use a scope to check and see if the synchronizer is properly installed.