lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

2005 Ford: steering wheel from column..van..air bags

Trying to remove steering wheel from column on a 2005 Ford Free star van to change clock spring for air bags. Can't pull steering wheel off?? Hope you can help!!
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomerthis is lostrider, dont pull on the steering wheel it will cause damage, on the bottom of the steering wheel there is a small cover, behind the cover there is what is called a steering wheel bolt gear drive, you need to loosen that bolt and that will unlock the steering wheel so it can be removed, here is a diagram and the bolt is #2, here is also the procedure, hope this helps.

Steering Wheel

Removal and Installation

1. Depower the supplemental restraint system (SRS). Disconnect the battery for 10 min.

NOTE: If warped or damaged, the access cover can be serviced separately. It is not necessary to install a new steering wheel shroud.

1. Remove the steering wheel access cover.
    • Disconnect the electrical connectors.
  1. Remove the steering wheel bolt gear drive.
    • To install, tighten to 18 Nm (13 lb-ft).
  1. Remove the steering wheel.
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • Repower the supplemental restraint system (SRS).

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The wheel bolt gear drive, is that the removal tool instead of a puller?

Because with the gear drive off, the steering wheel will not pull off.

Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
The wheel bolt gear drive is what holds the steering wheel to the steering column shaft, you will need to keep turning it and you will start to notice the wheel getting loose, and then it will slide off, the gear drive should not come off the steering wheel unless it has been broken by using the puller.
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.