Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2002 ford expedition: truck wont..interior lights..windsheild wipers

Customer Question

2002 ford expedition, my truck wont go into gear, the interior lights, windsheild wipers/wash and windows are not working. It just happened today. I discovered it after i fixed my flat tire. Had a really bad day please give me some good news.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for visiting Just Answer. I will do my very best to help you resolve your concerns.

Is the shifter stuck in park?

When the brakes are pressed do the rear lamps illuminate?

Is there a chance you damaged wires under the vehicle near the spare?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes it is stuck in park. the only way i can get it out of park is to turn the key on the first click (i think this is called accesorries where i can just listen to the radio) and then i can move it into neutral and start the truck up and go. Yes the brakes do illuminate when i press down on it. Im not sure if i damaged the wires by the spare. My rear tire on the driverside was flat yesterday, i put fix a flat in it to pump it up and took it to walmart so they could fix it. After i found out i had a flat tire is when everything else stopped working. I found the fuse that controls the lights, the windows and windsheild wipers, it is the only silver looking fuse in the fuse box under the hood # XXXXX How do i know if that needs to be replaced?

Since the brake lights are working then this means the brake shift interlock is non operational. So you need to first check fuse 6 under the dash. If its good then you will need to lower the steering and replace the solenoid actuator.

As for the other concerns start simple by checkeing all there fuses and relays as the first step.

Sounds like your GEM module ahas lost power which may be the concern to llok into. I would recommend you check both the innere fuse panle and the GEM attached to the back of it for water intrusions from windshield leaks.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I already checked ll the fuses and they were good. The fuse that i cant check is 601, whic is located in the fuse box under the hood. It looks like a silver metal fuse. that is the one that controls the windows, windsheild wipers and inner lights. This fuse doesnt look like the others so i dont know if it is a good one or bad one. Its solid not see thru. What is the solenoid actuator?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I already checked all the fuses and they were good. The fuse that i cant check is 601, which is located in the fuse box under the hood. It looks like a silver metal fuse. that is the one that controls the windows, windsheild wipers and inner lights. This fuse doesnt look like the others so i dont know if it is a good one or bad one. Its solid not see thru. What is the solenoid actuator?

The brake shift actuator is a solenoid which pulls in and out when the brakes are pressed to allow the shifter to come out of park.

graphic

601 is the accessory delay relay fuse. It is esiest checked by just swapping in a new one since it cant be seen from the inside.

Here are the circuits for the windows and wipers and courtesy lights.

graphic

graphicgraphicgraphic

Dont forget to check for water intrusion which is common on this model in the fuse panel and GEM module.

Did you get my most recent reply