FMT2282, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,ASE Master Technician, State Smog License and 23 years in the field

95 Lincoln Town Car: removing and replacing the

Customer Question

On a 95 Lincoln Town Car, I'd like the instructions on removing and replacing the starter. The VIN is 1LNLM81W1SY638681
Category: Ford
Expert:  FMT2282 replied 7 years ago.
  1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle on a hoist.
  3. Disconnect starter cable and push-on connector from starter solenoid. CAUTION : When disconnecting hard-shell connector at S-terminal, grasp the plastic shell and pull off. Do not pull on wire. Be careful to pull straight off to prevent damage to the connector and the S-terminal. If any part of the connection is damaged, replace the damaged components.
  1. Remove upper mounting bolt.
  2. Remove lower mounting bolt and starter.

1. Position starter motor to engine and install upper and lower bolts finger-tight.
  2. Tighten the upper bolt to 20-27 Nm (15-20 lb-ft).
  3. Tighten the lower bolt to 20-27 Nm (15-20 lb-ft).
  4. Connect starter solenoid connector. Be careful to push straight on and make sure connector locks in position with a notable click or detent.
  5. Install starter cable to starter terminal. Tighten to 9-14 Nm (80-124 lb-in).
  6. Replace red starter solenoid safety cap.
  7. Lower vehicle to floor.
  8. Connect battery ground cable.

Here's the basic directions on the R and R steps.Good luck,Chuck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much!
Expert:  FMT2282 replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome,if you need anything else,don't hesitate.Good luck.Chuck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you have any suggestions? I can't even see the upper mounting bolt. The wiring and lower mounting bolt are visible, but what do I need to get to the upper mounting bolt?
Expert:  FMT2282 replied 7 years ago.
The way to get around this is to use an extension and slide it between the engine block and the subframe. Your ratchet will end up on the other side of the support.You will have to blindly find the bolt,but it can be done. When you go to put it back in,use a little grease in the socket to hold the bolt while you slide it in. This bolt is one of those you want to ask the engineer,"What were you thinking?". Chuck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, Chuck. I'll give it a try.
Expert:  FMT2282 replied 7 years ago.
Let me know how it turns out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

It sounded a bit too challenging to me, so we're getting a professional mechanic to do the labor for us (mainly because of the urgency of the situation). Thank you.

Just an FYI - It wasn't the starter. It turns out the engine is frozen, and we can't afford $2,000 for another engine. Also, the mechanic did replace the starter, and there were three retaining bolts, the third of which would have normally required the engine to be lifted to get it out, but he managed to remove it in only 3-1/2 hours. I'm really glad I deferred the work to a mechanic.