lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

1998 f150: you remove the dash..pu in order to replace the heater core

Customer Question

how do you remove the dash on a 1998 f150 pu in order to replace the heater core?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
Here is the procedure with diagrams, take your time, cause if any parts brake they will be hard to find due to ford no longer makes allot of the interior trim parts.

1. Remove the battery cables.
  1. Remove the battery ground cable.
  2. Remove the battery to starter relay cable and wait one minute for the backup power supply to be depleted. WARNING: TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE INJURY, THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE SERVICING OR REPLACING ANY AIR BAG SYSTEM COMPONENTS. TO DEPLETE THE BACKUP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY TO STARTER RELAY CABLE AND WAIT ONE MINUTE.

graphic

1. Carefully pry to release the (A) four clips and remove the (B) steering column opening cover. NOTE: Move the shift lever to the 1 position to ease removal.

graphic

1. Pull to release the three (A) clips and remove the (B) fuse door.

graphic

1. Position the hood latch release handle aside.
  1. Remove the two hood latch release handle screws.
  2. Remove the hood latch release handle.

graphic

1. Position the parking brake release handle aside.
  1. Remove the two parking brake release handle screws.
  2. Remove the parking brake release handle.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel floor duct panel Remove two push clips and release one expander clip.

graphic

1. Remove the lower instrument panel steering column cover.
  1. Remove the six lower instrument panel steering column cover bolts.
  2. Remove the lower instrument pane] steering column cover.

graphic

1. Remove the LH and RH scuff plates.

graphic

1. Remove the LH and RH cowl side trim panels.

graphic

1. Disconnect the brake on/off (BOO) switch electrical connector.

graphic

1. Remove the (A) radio ground and the (B) GEM/CTM ground.

graphic

1. Disconnect the three instrument panel main harness connectors.

graphic

1. Remove the bulkhead wiring harness from inside the engine compartment.
  1. Loosen the three bulkhead wiring harness electrical connector bolts.
  2. Disconnect the three bulkhead electrical connectors.

graphic

1. Pull the bulkhead electrical connector handle to disconnect the harness.

graphic

1. Disconnect the two air bag diagnostic monitor electrical connectors.

graphic

1. Disconnect the inertia fuel shutoff switch electrical connector.

graphic

1. Remove the two grounds from the RH cowl.

graphic

1. Disconnect the electronic actuator electrical connector.

graphic

1. Disconnect the climate control head vacuum line connector.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel steering column opening cover reinforcement.
  1. Remove the four instrument panel steering column opening cover reinforcement nuts.
  2. Remove the instrument panel steering column opening cover reinforcement.

graphic

1. Lower the steering column.
  1. Remove the four steering column support nuts.
  2. Lower the steering column.
  1. Remove the radio chassis.
  2. Disconnect the antenna cable from the outside of the vehicle. NOTE: The antenna cable will be removed with the instrument panel.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel relay cover.
  2. Disconnect the auto amp sensor electrical connector if equipped.

graphic

1. Open the glove compartment and release the two door stops.

graphic

1. Remove the passenger side air bag module.
  1. Remove the three passenger side air bag module screws.
  2. Disconnect the passenger side air bag module electrical connector.
  3. Remove the passenger side air bag module. WARNING:
      • ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN REMOVING AND HANDLING AN AIR BAG.
      • CARRY A LIVE AIR BAG WITH THE BAG AND TRIM COVER POINTED AWAY FROM YOUR BODY. AN ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT WILL THEN DEPLOY WITH MINIMAL CHANCE OF INJURY.
      • PLACE A LIVE AIR BAG ON A BENCH OR OTHER SURFACE WITH THE TRIM COVER UP.

graphic

1. Remove the four RH assist handle screw covers.

graphic

1. Remove the four RH assist handle screws.

graphic

1. Remove the RH assist handle.

graphic

1. Remove the RH windshield side garnish moulding.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel bolt below and to the left of the glove compartment.

graphic

1. Remove both instrument panel bolts behind the passenger side air bag module opening.

graphic

1. Remove the two instrument panel bolts on the top of the instrument panel.
  1. Remove the two covers.
  2. Remove the two bolts.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel bolt on the relay bracket.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel bolt below and to the left of the cigar lighter and power point.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel nut on the bottom RH comer of the instrument panel.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel nut on the bottom LH corner of the instrument panel.
  2. Remove the instrument panel bolt under the center of the steering column.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel bolt on the bottom LH side of the instrument cluster opening.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel bolt on the bottom RH side of the instrument cluster opening.

graphic

1. Disconnect the (A) air bag sliding contact electrical connectors and the (B) anti-theft sensor electrical connector.

graphic

1. Disconnect the remaining electrical connectors on the steering column.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel from the RH floor brace.

graphic

1. Remove the instrument panel.

This is a long procedure,let me know if all the diagrams dont show.and I will resend them.