lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

2003 Ford Explorer Sport: temperature gauge..the upper

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport 2 door. The outside temperature gauge / compass stopped working today. It's the one that's in the upper console near the map light. Could this be linked to a fuse that I can just replace? It's been working fine until today.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.
Here is the test for the system, the first thing is to check the fuse.There are a number of componets that can cause the concern, the only way to tell for sure is to test the system, you will need an OHM/Volt meter to do the test.
Initial Inspection

1. Verify the customer concern by operating the electronic compass.

Visual Inspection Chart

1. Visually inspect for obvious signs of mechanical and electrical damage.
  2. If inspection reveals an obvious concern(s) that can be readily identified, repair or install a new component as necessary.
  3. If the fault is not visually evident, determine the symptom and proceed to the Symptom Chart. See: Diagnosis By Symptom

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thanks for the input. I will check the fuse. Thanks for letting me know which one it is. That will help out.

Thank you.

Expert:  lostrider replied 7 years ago.
Your welcome.