Dennis, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,Ford Diesel Technician,ASE Master Technician,34 Years Ford Experience

My 2003 explorer is stuck in PARK. sometimes I cannot get it

Customer Question

My 2003 explorer is stuck in PARK. sometimes I cannot get it INTO PARK, but this time I hopped in and I couldn't move the auto shift into drive....I think there is some sort of relay switch to disengage, but I don't know where it is
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dennis replied 7 years ago.
Customer You probably have a either a faulty brake switch and/or broken brake switch wire at the connector for the switch. What happens is when the brake pedal is depressed, power goes through the switch to the shift lock solenoid on the steering column,. This enables movement of the selector. Depress your brake pedal and have someone check and see if the rear brake light come on. If not, the switch or wire is your problem, as long as there is power at the switch. If they come on, check for power from the brake switch to the shift lock solenoid. Now, to try to move the selector with the current problem, turn the key toward the on position just before the dash indicators come on, then try and move the selector lever to neutral. This will allow you to start the vehicle and drive it. If you place the lever back in park, the same sequence will need to be done. At least you can get it to a repair shop. Hope this answers your question and the info was helpful. Please accept this answer and give feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
well, hours later I tried this, but still no luck. The gear shift selector on the steering column will not move. I clicked the key to the position you suggested. Still stuck. Where is the switch?
I have to be able to get it to the repair shop! Paying to tow it would be ridiculous
Expert:  Dennis replied 7 years ago.
Customer You should be able to get it out of park. It can be a little tricky. I have done this many times and just gave these instructions to someone last week. Just make sure you turn the key slightly as you try moving the selector. It will come out. The brake switch is located on the brake pedal just above your foot. Let me know how you make out. Thanks. Dennis