mike v
mike v, Ford Technician
Experience:  ford employed certified tech
13546892

how do I replace the rear window in a 2000 mustang convertible

how do I replace the rear window in a 2000 mustang convertible? It is busted out and I need to replace it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  mike v replied 6 years ago.

hi there

lets see if this will help you ----let me know if you need anything else ----

mike

Trim Panel-Quarter, Convertible

Special Tool(s)
Safety Belt Bolt Bit
501-010 (T77L-2100-A)

Removal

1. Lower convertible top to full down position.
  1. Remove the rear seat cushion.
  1. Remove the bolts and the rear seat backrest.
  1. Remove the front door scuff plate (13208).
  1. Remove the front safety belt bolt.
  1. Remove the pin-type retainers.
  1. Remove the speaker grille (18978).
  1. Remove the quarter trim panel (31012) pin-type retainers.
  1. Remove the quarter trim panel.

Installation

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Window Glass - Quarter, Convertible

Removal

1. Remove the quarter trim panel. For additional information, refer to Section 501-05.
  1. Disconnect the connectors and remove the screw.
  1. Remove the screw.
  1. Remove the screw and the speaker.
  1. Disconnect the electrical connector.
  1. Remove the watershield.
  1. Remove the interior weatherstrip.
  1. Remove the bolt.
  1. Remove the bolts and the glass.

Installation

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need the very back window glass not the quarter glass
Expert:  mike v replied 6 years ago.

are you talking about the window in the convertible top ???

mike

Windows
Notes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes the window in the convertible top Thanks
Expert:  mike v replied 6 years ago.

ok lets see if this will help you ----

mike

Rear Window Glass Convertible Top Assembly
Notes

REMOVAL

1. Remove the rear defrost connectors if necessary.

1. Remove the nuts retaining the well sling and convertible top tacking strips.

1. Remove the three tacking strips.

1. Mark the top of the convertible top skin around the top of all three tacking strips with a grease pencil.

1. Remove the visible staples.

1. Remove the water diverter.

1. Mark the winter seal at the top, bottom and the forward edge of the rear tacking strip.

1. Remove the winter seal.
  2. Lift the rear cover assembly over the convertible top exposing the top of the rear window glass assembly.

1. Remove all of the staples in the cover assembly along the number four bow.

1. Remove all of the staples in the rear window glass assembly along the number four bow.
  2. Remove the rear window glass assembly.

INSTALLATION

1. Overlay the new rear window glass assembly over the old rear window glass assembly and transpose the markings with a grease pencil.

1. Center the V-notch on the new rear window glass assembly to the center mark on the top of the number four bow.

1. Align the rear window glass assembly to the top groove of the number four bow and staple the entire length.

1. Starting at the center of the lower rear tacking strip, align the top edge of the rear belt to the reference line and staple.

1. Repeat the procedure for both rear tacking strip sides.

1. Position and staple the water diverter.

1. If necessary, align the elastic straps with the edge of the rear window glass assembly and staple in place.

1. Align the center line mark on the cover assembly to the V-notch on the rear window glass assembly and staple the entire length.

1. Align the top edge of the quarter tacking strip to the reference line on the convertible top cover and staple.
  2. Install the tacking strips over the body studs.

1. Tighten the tacking strip nuts.
  2. Install the well sling.
  3. If necessary, connect the rear defroster connectors.

© 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your help could you tell me what kind of staples to use? And is there a special installiation tool?
Expert:  mike v replied 6 years ago.

just use a staple gun with 5/16 staples ---- thank you

mike

mike v, Ford Technician
Experience: ford employed certified tech