Mark W
Mark W, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech and Ford Senior Master Tech
13555483

mercury cougar: wont crank..We replaced the battery - same thing.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 ford mercury cougar that won't crank or start. We were originally told the battery was old and died. We replaced the battery - same thing. We then were told it was the PATS system since the security light stays on solid. We trailered the car to the Ford dealer and they said the PCM was the cause and they could not reprogam the keys and they could also not replace the PCM as they don't make them anymore for that model. We found one online that came with a working key. We installed - same issue - no crank no start. We replaced the transponder. It did not help. The starter solinoid is fine. We are also unable to get any malfunction codes off of the car. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mark W replied 8 years ago.

Well, for starters, you cannot replace the PCM without programming it to the car. There is no such thing as a "programmed key" The PCM and key have to be programmed to match the car. If not, you will have a "no crank-no start" problem. The original PCM was probably bad, but take the whole car back to the dealer and have them do the programming with the new keys and PCM---make sure you have a minimum of two keys. I am pretty sure that a Ford dealer is the only place you can have programming like this done.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Thanks for asking.