Dennis
Dennis, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,Ford Diesel Technician,ASE Master Technician,34 Years Ford Experience
13089353

88 Town Car: I replace the fuel pump..without removing..fuel tank

can I replace the fuel pump on an '88 Town Car without removing the fuel tank? If so how?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dennis replied 6 years ago.
Customer Yes, you can replace the pump without removing the tank. I furnished you with directions. Hope this answers your questions and ths info was helpful. Please accept this answer and give feedback. Thank you.

Fuel Pump Assembly

Removal

1. Place vehicle on hoist, do not raise.

2. Depressurize fuel system with EFI and CFI Fuel Pressure Gauge T80L-9974-B or equivalent. Connect pressure gauge on Schrader valve located on engine fuel rail. Open the valve and drain.

3. Drain fuel from fuel tank through filler neck until fuel tank is under one-quarter full, use Rotunda Fuel Storage Tanker 034-00002 and Fuel Tank Adapter Hose 034-00012 or equivalent.

4. Raise vehicle on hoist. Refer to «Section 00-02».

5. Disconnect supply line and return line fittings.

6. Disconnect fuel pump and/or sender electrical connector.

7. Remove any dirt that has accumulated around the fuel pump retaining flange so that it will not enter the tank during removal and installation.

8. Turn the fuel pump locking ring counterclockwise using Fuel Tank Sender Wrench D84P-9275-A or equivalent, and remove locking ring.

9. Remove fuel pump and sender assembly.

10. Remove seal ring and discard.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Regarding item 5: Where can the supply and return lines be accessed? Can I disconnect the supply line from the fuel pump after partially removing it?

Regarding item 8: Can I use a mallet and a drift (punch) as field tools to remove the fuel pump locking ring rather than too

D84P-9275-A?

Expert:  Dennis replied 6 years ago.
Customer i would disconnect the fuel lines at the pump first before removing it. Yes, you can use a mallet and drift to remove the ring. Hope this answers your questions. Please accept this answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

One more clarification please.

There are no fuel lines on the external face of the pump/sender. All that is evident is the two prong electrical connector which when removed appears to disconnect the guage and stop the function of the fuel pump. (I cannot hear it) Is the feed line attached to the portion of the pump/sender that is inside the tank and can it be accessed by sliding the pump/ sender unit part way out of the hole to disconnect it?

If this is not possible then How Do I Access the Lines?

Expert:  Dennis replied 6 years ago.
Customer I am a liitle confused, there has to be fuel lines going to the fuel pump externally. How large in diameter is the fuel ring holding the pump. If it's about 3-4 inches, that may be just the fuel sender- not the pump. I may have confused the years. I apologize if I did.Please let me know. Thanks
Expert:  Dennis replied 6 years ago.
Customer I am a liitle confused, there has to be fuel lines going to the fuel pump externally. How large in diameter is the fuel ring holding the pump. If it's about 3-4 inches, that may be just the fuel sender- not the pump. I may have confused the years. Please let me know. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the diameter of the ring is about 3 inches. The year is 1988 Town Car
Expert:  Dennis replied 6 years ago.
Customer That is the fuel sender, not the pump. The fuel tank will have to come down to replace the pump. If you look on either side of the frame at the sides of the tank,you should see the fuel lines. Disconnect those and the fuel pump harness, then remove the fuel straps and lower the tank. you will then see the fuel pump. Disconnect the fuel filler neck and start walking it out of the tank once you start lowering it. Hope this clarifies the procedure and, again, I apologize for the inconvience. I must have answered 25 questions today and bouncing from one to another. Hope this answers your questions. Thanks again, Dennis

Dennis, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master Technician,Ford Diesel Technician,ASE Master Technician,34 Years Ford Experience