Glenn
Glenn, Senior Master Ford Tech
Experience:  26 years exp with Ford Products, ASE Master Auto & Truck + advanced engine perf L1/L2 Gas & Diesel
3389900

2000 Ford Focus SE overheating. Replaced thermastate. Doesnt

Customer Question

2000 Ford Focus SE overheating. Replaced thermastate. Doesn't overheat all the time. The gage will go to red and I shut it off for a few minutes and restart and it will go back to half way but in about 30 miles the gauge will start moving back toward red. If I turn air on it will put the gauge back to center.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

hello there,

I would have to agree with autozone.. It sounds like the high speed fan is not working correctly. The fact that it does not do it with the a/c leads me to believe that.. The fans stay on at low speed with the a/c on. With it off, the pcm determines when to kick the fan on to hi. Try unplugging cyl head temp sensor to see if the fans kick up to hi speed. See diagrams for locations. You will need a volt meter to diagnose this concern.

graphic

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I will take this info with me tomorrow to a mechanic. I will post the outcome of my delima.
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.
Please do: post back results.. thanks