Dennis, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,Ford Diesel Technician,ASE Master Technician,34 Years Ford Experience

Hi Where are the o2 sensors located on a 98 mustang 3.8l v6

Customer Question

Hi Where are the o2 sensors located on a 98 mustang 3.8l v6? I am looking for the upstream bank 2 sensor
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dennis replied 7 years ago.

thewsom1, I furnished you with location and a diagram for the o2 sensor. Hope this answers your question and was helpful. Please accept this answer and give feedback. thank you.

Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)

The heated oxygen sensors (HO2S) (9F472) react with the oxygen in the exhaust gases and generate a voltage based on this reaction as follows:

• A low voltage indicates too much oxygen or a lean condition.
  • A high voltage indicates not enough oxygen or a rich condition.

The two heated oxygen sensors are located in the dual converter Y pipe (5F250) below the exhaust manifolds (9430) .

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks Dennis, So there is only 2 sensors? The error I am getting is the Upstream o2 sensor bank 2.. I was under the impresion that there were 4 sensors. I have located to two behind the Cat Converters. I am assuming that bank two would be the Passenger side. I have already purchased the new sensor. But the haynes Manual that I have is about as clear as mud on these sonsors..
Expert:  Dennis replied 7 years ago.
Customer No, the upsteam sensor for bank #2 is the DRIVER side. Bank #1 is for cylinders 1-3 and bank#2 is for cylinders 4-6. Hope that clarifies and this answer helps you. Thanks, Dennis
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So there are only 2 oxygen Sensors on this car?
Expert:  Dennis replied 7 years ago.
Customer On your application according to the manual, there are just 2 listed. If there are downstream sensors, they will be after the cat. converter,with a 9F444 number on them. Hope this answers your question. Thanks.

Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S)

NOTE: Two heated oxygen sensors (HO2S) (9F472) are used for the engine control system. They are located in the dual converter Y pipe (5F250) .