Dennis
Dennis, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,Ford Diesel Technician,ASE Master Technician,34 Years Ford Experience
13089353

Car jumps when put in reverse..now jumps when put in drive...

Car jumps when put in reverse..now jumps when put in drive... feels like transmisson problem but Dealer says no its one or more of the 8 cylinders? Each costs $$ to replace... seems worse when its hot outside... They said this happens when you dont put parking brake on before you put the car in park... I know how to park my car so its not that.. this started at approx 57,000 miles (after the 5 yr warranty or 60,000 miles expried) Is this a tune up issue? Where can I take my car in Southern California for another diagnostic? Aniz XXX-XXX-XXXX
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Ford?
-What model is your Ford?

-What type of engine is in your Ford?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

2002

THUNDERBIRD/cp/ 2 dr CONVERTIBLE

ITS BEEN FLUSHED AND DIAGNOSTIC BY DEALER - THEY REPLACED THE SOP BROKEN INLET TUBE.

ENGINE IS 3.9L, 4V 8-CYL

3.949 CC DISPLACEMENT

91 OCTANE

FIRING ORDER 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

IGNITION SYSTEM "COIL ON PLUG"

COMPRESSION RATIO = 10.55:1

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

2002

THUNDERBIRD/cp/ 2 dr CONVERTIBLE

ENGINE IS 3.9L, 4V 8-CYL

3.949 CC DISPLACEMENT

91 OCTANE

FIRING ORDER 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

IGNITION SYSTEM "COIL ON PLUG"

COMPRESSION RATIO = 10.55:1

Customer

From your description, it seems like it is a transmission concern because if you had a coil concern, it would be missing. If it's "banging" going into drive, then into reverse, you may have a hydraulic concern with the solenoid pack inside the transmission. There also may be a callibration update for this concern. There is an adaptive learn strategy for shift timing and feel, but that usually is when the battery is disconnected or loses power. The PCM relearns the adaptive strategies. The cost of repair depends on what is found with diagnosis. This is all assuming the transmission from your description is the cause. If you don't want to go back to the dealer, I am sure there are other trans repair facilities that can perform the needed diagnostics. I hope this answers your questions and the info was helpful. Let me know if further advice is needed. Please accept answer and give feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The Ford dealer did the diagnostics and serivced the trans (like they always do ... one dealership said my cars was so so overserviced... but I think this dealer is okay ....

The Ford dealer is the one who told me its the coils.... what should I tell them? to call you? They told me they think its the coils and it sounds like its not ... now where do I go now? I am in Orange County California....

Customer Like I said in my post. I am going on your description of the concern. One does not have to do with the other. If the coils are faulty, the engine would be running rough and the engine light would come on and generate a code. You said it jumps putting it in drive or reverse. I would go to another dealer or trans shop to confirm this is a trans problem. There have been issues with this trans for banging when moving the shifter into drive or reverse as I mentioned before. We are not at liberty to receive any calls or contacts away from this sight. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks Dennis....it can be tough being a blond chick in a T-Bird... at least expensive... You answer has perhaps saved me a big chunk of change as the quote to replace the coils was well over a grand... I will take it to a trans shop or another dealer...

Customer Your welcome and good luck. Remember, Let them determine if it's a trans or an engine problem. Dennis