Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

Need to replace the transmission cooler lines on a 1993 Explorer.

Customer Question

Need to replace the transmission cooler lines on a 1993 Explorer. What type/size connector is used where the lines attach to the transmission?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

There really isn't any special tool needed to remove the cooler lines they are bolted to the transmission housing on the passenger side of the vehicle, just a basic open end wrench will do.

Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

You will need a special tool to remove the lines from the radiator

As for the lines to the transmission. Line wrenches would be the best so that you don't round off the fittings.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Sorry for the delayed response... been working all day. What I really need to know is what size/diameter the fittings are. Since I am going to have to make my own lines as replacements don't seem to be available. What size threads... diameter and pitch? Have not taken old lines off yet, just wanted to have proper replacements ready to go.

Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

If you bring in the old parts, most parts guy's will try and help you match it up. I believe that they are 3/8 line. Don't forget to get the line bending tool and also flaring tool when you go down there. Most parts stores have some kind of loan a tool programs.