FMT2282, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,ASE Master Technician, State Smog License and 23 years in the field

1994 Ford Ranger; 2.3 liter 4 cyl with dual spark plug wire

Customer Question

1994 Ford Ranger; 2.3 liter 4 cyl with dual spark plug wire - 8 plugs; manual transmission. I was replacing the radio and forgot to remove the power from the battery. Ended up with a spark from one of the wires for the new radio - Don't know if it was grounded or not. Now the charging system doesn't work, and the dash gauges don't either. I have put in a new alternator, battery and checked all fuses. I also used a starter relay from another vehicle - it works in the other vehicle, but not in this one. The fusible link from the alternator to the battery is good.
Category: Ford
Expert:  FMT2282 replied 7 years ago.

First,the radio fuse is number 11/10A in the fuse box in the cab.It is fed from fuse number 1 located in the engine fuse/relay box.Your charging system 15A fuse you are looking for is also located in this box.I am sending you a picture of the engine compartment to help you locate the fuse/relay box and a picture of the fuse positions.

Drop me a line if you need anything else.Thanks,Chuckgraphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I found and replaced the 15 amp in fuse position 20, but it didn't help. I thought the Chilton manual may have been referring to an additional fuse.

Could the short have damaged something else between this fuse and the starter relay?

Thank you for your help!