HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European

2002 Taurus SE: it wont turn..Pressure Sensor..Fuel Pump

I have a 2002 Taurus SE and it won't turn over as if it is not getting any gas. I receive a P0191 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Check/Range from the OBD. I think it may be the Fuel Pump ,but with limited funds trying to see if it could be anything else that may cost less to replace first. I was wondering if it could be anything else. I just replaced the Fuel Filter, I also receive a 55.50 psi for fuel pressure on my reader while Key is on and engine off. Looking for any other possibilities.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

2002 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 L

Already Tried:
New Fuel Filter, Checked Fuel Pressure from valve on fuel rail using a pen to see how far pressure would shoot when car is turned over fuel hit underneath of hood. Checked fuel pressure through Diagnostic Tool with key to ON and engine OFF received 55.50 for fuel pressure on tool. I know it should read -10 difference when using the tool. I believe without tool would read 65psi and reading are different when engine is running.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 years ago.
Will it try to start if you spary carb cleaner into the intake?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have not tried carb spray in the intake. When I have talked to my dealer they want to lean to it being the fuel pump. I thought maybe the fuel pressure sensor but was told if it failed I would still be able to start the car. I am unable to get it running though. Also thought maybe a fuel relay or fuse but not sure where to find the fuel relay switch I found the fuse compartment under the hood but not sure what fuse it which yet.

Thank you for your asssitance

Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 years ago.
if you have solid fuel pressure it isnt a pump, a fuel gauge would be ideal to verify it is good.If it tries to start when spraying carb clean, it is a fuel delivery issue.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So the reading I was receiving from my tool would be an acceptable pressure reading. I did have my car running for about 1/2 hour prior to recieving code and not starting again could the fuel pump over heat and then finally fail? If that was the case I would not get any fuel pressure correct?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 7 years ago.

Yes you are correct.