Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

1998 ford F150: extended cab..3rd gear..40 mph and it is..wont shift

I have a 1998 ford F150 extended cab shortbed and i recently pulled the transmission to replace the flexplate. After putting everything back, I put the truck in drive and it will not go into 3rd gear. I can only drive 40 mph and it is at 3000 rpms and wont shift into 3rd. What could I have done wrong?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1998 Ford F150 5.4L

Already Tried:
nothing yet I am stumped
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for visiting Just Answer. I will do my very best to help you resolve your concerns

If it was shifting correct before but not know then odds are you need to adjust the shifter to make sure its in drive and not manual 2nd and you need to make sure the TR sensor is plugged in and no wires are damaged and check the solenoid connector as well. Also look at the top of the bellhousing to make sure the trans wire harness is not smashed between the engine and trans.

Beyond this codes will need to be checked and then internal concerns have to be suspected.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

where is the TR sensor located? also are there places where I can get an electronic diagnostic for free?

Auto Zone is about the only place that can scan one for free. But I have heard they cant do transmissions which I find odd since the codes for engine and trans are stored in the same module.

The TR sensor is o nthe drivers side of the trans near the pan.