Dennis
Dennis, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,Ford Diesel Technician,ASE Master Technician,34 Years Ford Experience
13089353

How do I replace the starter on a 1998 F-150?

Category: Ford
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1998 Ford F-150 5.4L V-8

Already Tried:
I found the starter, can't see all of the bolts. I need to know the best way to get to the bolts holding the starter on and replace the starter.
Expert:  Dennis replied 5 years ago.
Customer Below are the steps and diagrams for replacing the starter. Please accept this answer. Thank you.

• Disconnect the battery ground cable (14301).
  • WARNING: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the RH kick panel area. Failure to do so may result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs which may result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.

Raise and support the vehicle; refer to Section 100-02 .

Remove the starter motor solenoid terminal cover (11N087).

graphic

NOTE: The 4.2L engine is shown; the 4.6L engine is similar.

Disconnect the starter motor electrical connections.

Remove the two nuts.

Remove the battery cable.

Remove the starter solenoid wire.

graphic

Remove the nut and the starter motor ground cable.

graphic

• NOTE: 4.2L engine-equipped vehicles only.

Remove the starter.

Remove the bolt and stud bolt.

• Remove the starter.

graphic

• NOTE: 4.6L engine-equipped vehicles only.

Remove the three bolts and the starter motor.
  •  

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Is this the same for the 5.4 engine?
    Expert:  Dennis replied 5 years ago.
    Customer the 5.4 is similar in removal to the 4.6 I usually get the top bolt through long 3/8 entention and swivel socket. It could be a little tight. Please accept this answer. Thank you.
    Dennis, Ford Technician
    Experience: Ford Senior Master Technician,Ford Diesel Technician,ASE Master Technician,34 Years Ford Experience