Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

Where is the fuel tank selector valve on a 1992 Ford F150

Customer Question

Where is the fuel tank selector valve on a 1992 Ford F150? Not the switch on the dash, I first replased it then rebuilt it. The stores are saying its the actual valve itself. I can hear booth of the gas pumps priming up when I turn the switch back and forth. I found a different valve one on an earlier Ford but it looks nothing like what the stores are trying to sell me, it is big and round and it was bolted to the frame of the truck If you can't see the picture just look it up on autozone or let me know and I will send it again.

Thanks for your time and trouble.

Chris

graphic

Category: Ford
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1992 Ford F150 Custom straight 6

Already Tried:
Manual trans, it's just a plain old work truck. No frills or electric anything. The truck has dual tanks and the front tank has not worked since before I got the truck. I swapped out the switches and nothing, and I know there is gas in there.
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.

What they are trying to sell you is right,this is the fuel filter and diverter valve,there is no

tank switcher,just the switch to change over which pump works,the piece they are selling you is to keep the fuel from pumping into the empty tank and to switch which tank the gauge reads off of.If you are getting no fuel from either tank,you need to replace that unit.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I understand all of this already what I need to know is where the thing is physically, I found a different valve one on an earlier Ford, in the junk yard, but it looks nothing like what the stores are trying to sell me, it is big and round and it was bolted to the frame of the truck. This is a six port switch from autozone. I already replaced the fuel filter and the dual tank switch.

graphicI will attach the picture of what they are wanting to sell me, the problem is I do not know where it is to replace it and no one at the stores knows where it is either.

Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.
What they are trying to sell you is a generic piece,it may be possible to replace the original with it.The original on is on the drivers side of the truck on the inside of the frame near the rear of the drivers door area.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have already been charged by just answer.com for this but I still have not found this fuel tank selector. It has been too cold to go out and get ubder the truck, but last time I did there were only two fuel pipes going to the front of the truck from the middle gas tank. There were two more going twoards the back of the truck making me feel the selector valve is somewhere at the back of the truck. I just hope it is not under the rear tank. Please let me know what you find out or look up.

Thanks

Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.
Getting Admin to send you the file.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It has been too cold to go out and get under the truck, but last time I did
there were only two fuel pipes going to the front of the truck from the middle
gas tank. There were two more going towards the back of the truck making me feel
the selector valve is somewhere at the back of the truck. I just hope it is not
under the rear tank.
Please let me know what you find out or look up.

I have already been charged $9 by just answer.com for this, according to my
bank records. But I still have not found this fuel tank selector, and I have gotten under the truck and done the tracking of the lines myself. I have gotten several vague responses from you, someone who should know exactly where this thing is but no real definitive answers. I thought I was paying for a quick and simple answer and I have gotten exactly the opposite. If you do not know exactly where the fuel selector valve is on a 1992 Ford F 150 please refer me to someone who does.
If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
Chris

Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.

I am sending you some info on the location of this valve,hope it works for you. I know it can be frustrating but I am using all my resources to help you undestand where and what it is.

FUEL SELECTOR VALVES -1992 Ford Pickup F150
Page 1 of 11
ARTICLE BEGINNING
DESCRIPTION
Two fuel selector valves are used. Gasoline engine models use a mechanically-activated dual function reservoir. The dual reservoir operates on dual tank vehicles. Diesel equipped vehicles use a 6-port fuel selector valve.
The dual function reservoir combine reservoir/filter function with tank selector valve function. The dual function reservoir system uses 3 fuel pumps: 2 low pressure pumps in tank and one external high pressure pump. The 6-port diesel fuel selector valve has no internal pump or filter. The selector valve is powered by a small electric motor which opens and closes the valve ports.

http://www.ondemand5.com/mric/common/asp/printart.aspx
13/11/2008
Page 2 of 11

Fig. 1: Exploded View of Dual Function Reservoir Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.

13/11/2008
Page 3 of 11

Fig. 2: Dual Function Reservoir Fuel Flow Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.
OPERATION
DUAL FUNCTION RESERVOIR (GASOLINE ENGINE)
The fuel tank selector valve/dual function reservoir and filter on gasoline-engine vehicles is located on the inboard frame rail between the tank and high pressure fuel pump. An additional in-line fuel filter is mounted on the frame rail between the fuel pump and engine.
With the tank selector switch in FRONT or REAR positions, power from fuel pump relay is directed to front or rear tank fuel pump, respectively. Fuel pressure created by the selected in-tank fuel pump exerts force on a 3 INCH fluorosilicon diaphragm.
The diaphragm is connected to a T-bar and 2 selector valve shafts. The diaphragm force, simultaneously opens and closes the appropriate supply and return shutoff valves. See Fig. 1 and Fig. 2 .
6-PORT FUEL SELECTOR VALVE (DIESEL ENGINE)
The tank selector valve/reservoir allows fuel to flow from one tank, depending on switch position. This design compensates for momentary losses in fuel pressure caused by tank surge.

13/11/2008
Page 4 of 11

Fig. 3: Six-Port Fuel Selector Valve Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.

13/11/2008
Page 5 of 11

Fig. 4: View of 6-Port Switching Valve Circuitry
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.
TESTING CAUTION

WARNING: Fuel lines may be under pressure. Use care during testing to avoid personal injury. For handling special fuel line connections, see FUEL LINE FITTINGS under REMOVAL & INSTALLATION in this article.
13/11/2008
Page 6 of 11
6-PORT FUEL SELECTOR VALVE TESTING
SELECTOR DOES NOT SWITCH TANKS (DIESEL ENGINE)
1.Check for voltage across fuse No. 15 (10-amp) in fuse panel. Repair faulty circuit or replace fuse if no voltage exists on fuse panel. 2.Check for voltage to selector valve. Remove electrical connector from tank selector valve. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Move selector switch to FRONT position, check for voltage between connector terminals No. 2 and 1. If voltage is present on terminals No. 1 or 2 , proceed to next step. If no voltage is present, go to step 4). 3.Check selector motor operation by placing a jumper wire on battery positive terminal and selector valve terminal No. 2. Jumper selector valve terminal No. 1 to ground. Selector valve motor should operate. Reverse jumper wires. Motor should operate in opposite direction, if not, replace motor. 4.Remove fuel tank selector switch from dash. Remove harness connector. Position selector switch in proper position and check for continuity at specified terminals. See SWITCH TERMINALS CONTINUITY TEST table. Replace switch if continuity does not exist at designated terminals.
SWITCH TERMINALS CONTINUITY TEST Switch Position Terminal Continuity FRONT Step 1 Step 2 REAR Step 1 Step 2 Nos. 1 & 2 Nos. 2 & 3 Nos. 4 & 5 Nos. 5 & 6
5.If continuity exists on Bronco & "F" Series vehicles, check continuity of circuits No. 786 (Red) and 789 (Brown/White) between selector switch and selector valve. If continuity exists, proceed to step 7). If no continuity exists, repair open circuit. 6.If continuity exists on "E" Series vehicles, check continuity of circuits No. 974 (Orange) and 808 (Brown) between selector switch and selector valve. If continuity exists, proceed to step 7). If no continuity exists, repair open circuit. 7.On all models, turn ignition switch to RUN position. Position selector switch to FRONT position. Turn ignition off. Disconnect fuel supply line from rear tank to selector valve. 8.Remove vacuum purge valve from fuel filter adapter. Install Adapter (3019) and sample hose from Rotunda Pressure Test Kit. Place sample hose in measuring container. Start engine and allow to idle with no load. Open clamp on sample hose and note fuel flow. 9.Fuel flow should be solid and continuous. If fuel flow is okay, remove adapter, reconnect hose and proceed to step 11). If fuel flow is restricted, proceed to next step. 10.Disconnect engine supply hose at selector valve. Disconnect front tank supply hose from selector valve. Connect hoses together. Repeat steps 7) through 9). Replace tank selector valve if fuel flow was continuous. If fuel flow was restricted, check fuel tank sender, fuel level and fuel lines for

13/11/2008
Page 7 of 11
restrictions. Repeat steps 7) through 9). 11.Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Position selector switch to REAR position. Turn ignition off. Disconnect fuel supply line from front tank to selector valve. 12.Remove vacuum purge valve from fuel filter adapter. Install Adapter (3019) and sample hose from Rotunda Pressure Test Kit. Place sample hose in measuring container. Start engine and allow to idle with no load. Open clamp on sample hose and note fuel flow. 13.Fuel flow should be solid and continuous. If fuel flow is okay, remove adapter, reconnect hose and proceed to step 15). If fuel flow is restricted, proceed to next step. 14.Disconnect engine supply hose at tank selector valve. Disconnect rear tank supply hose from tank selector valve. Connect hoses together. Repeat steps 11) through 13). Replace tank selector valve if fuel flow was continuous. If fuel flow was restricted, check fuel tank sender, fuel level and fuel lines for restrictions. Repeat steps 11) through 13). 15.Disconnect engine return hose at tank selector valve. Place hose in a container. Turn ignition switch to RUN position. Position selector switch to the problem tank. Start engine and check fuel flow. If fuel flow was okay, proceed to next step. If fuel flow was restricted, check fuel lines for obstructions. 16.Disconnect fuel return line to problem tank at selector valve. Attach a 5/16" diameter hose to selector valve return port. Place hose in container. Start engine and check fuel flow. Replace tank selector valve if fuel flow was restricted. If fuel flow was okay, check fuel sender and fuel lines for obstructions.
DUAL FUNCTION RESERVOIR TESTING CAUTION

CAUTION: Regulate air pressure to between 3-5 psi (.2-.3 kg/cm2 ) during testing. Use proper sized quick connector fitting during testing.

DUAL FUNCTION RESERVOIR TESTING
1.Remove and XXXXX XXXXXnes from reservoir. Apply regulated air pressure of 3-5 psi (.2-.3 kg/cm2 ) to the small diameter tube (return port) on the engine side of reservoir. Engine side contains 2 ports. See Fig. 5 and Fig. 6 .

13/11/2008
Page 8 of 11

Fig. 5: Exploded View of Dual Function Reservoir Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.

13/11/2008
Page 9 of 11

Fig. 6: Dual Function Reservoir Fuel Flow Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.
2.If air exhausts from only one port on other side of reservoir, proceed to step 4). If air did not exhaust, block supply port (large tube) on engine side of reservoir. 3.Apply regulated air pressure to either of the supply ports on the fuel tank side of reservoir. Remove regulated air and apply to return tube on engine side of reservoir. If air exhausts from one tank side return port, proceed to next step. Replace reservoir if air did not exhaust from one tank side return port. 4.Block engine side supply port. Apply regulated air pressure to one corresponding supply and return port on tank side. Air pressure should exhaust on engine side return port. 5.If air pressure did not exhaust, apply air pressure to opposite tank side return port. Replace reservoir if air pressure did not exhaust on engine side return port. 6.Repeat step 4) on remaining corresponding tank ports, if air pressure exhausted from engine side return port. Check connection or replace reservoir if air pressure did not exhaust on engine side return port. 7.If air exhausted from engine side return port during steps 4) or 6), check for blockage in engine side supply port. If blockage cannot be cleared replace reservoir. 8.Apply pressure to engine side supply line. Note the open port on tank side. Install a 0-10 psi (0-.70 kg/cm2 ) pressure gauge on the closed supply port. 9.Block the open tank side port. Apply air pressure. Replace reservoir if air pressure exists on the gage. If no pressure exists, remove pressure gauge. Install gauge on closed tank side return port. 10.Apply air pressure on engine side return port. Block open return port. Replace reservoir if air pressure exists on gauge.

13/11/2008
Page 10 of 11
6-PORT FUEL SELECTOR VALVE R & I
Disconnect and mark fuel hoses from selector valve. Remove electrical connections. Remove nut and ground wire (if equipped). Remove valve retaining bolts. Remove valve. To install, reverse removal procedure. Ensure ground wire is securely fastened.
DUAL FUNCTION RESERVOIR R & I
Disconnect and mark fuel lines at reservoir. Remove reservoir retaining bolts. Remove reservoir. Reverse removal procedures for installation. Tighten retaining bolts to 12-17 ft. lbs. (16-23 N.m).
FUEL LINE FITTINGS R & I CAUTION

WARNING: Fuel lines may be under pressure. Use care during removal to prevent personal injury.
FUEL LINE FITTINGS R & I
1.Clean fuel supply fitting prior to separation. Some fittings may stick between seals and tubing. Twist fitting on tube, then push and pull fitting until it moves freely. Fuel lines may be of 2 different types. One uses a hairpin clip connector and one uses a metal spring lock connector. 2.On hairpin clip type, bend tab downward until it clears fitting body. See Fig. 7 . Spread 2 clip legs 1/8" each to disengage body and push legs into fitting. Pull clip from fitting and discard clip. Pulling in an axial direction, separate tube from fitting. Reverse procedure for installation. Use new hairpin clip.

13/11/2008
Page 11 of 11

Fig. 7: Typical Fuel Line Fittings
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.
3.On metal spring lock type, use Spring Lock Coupling Disconnect Tool (T81P-19623-G2) to separate coupling fitting. Align mating marks on connector to ensure positive proper mating at installation.
WIRING DIAGRAMS
See appropriate chassis wiring diagrams in the WIRING DIAGRAMS section.

© 2007 Mitchell Repair Information Co., LLC.

13/11/2008

Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience: 30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The dual selector valve is above the rear gas tank. Thanks for all the extra info though, some of it may be usefull.