chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer Sport and the gear indicator shift

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer Sport and the gear indicator shift will not go into the right position but car runs fine.

Hi there

It sounds like your shift indicator cable is broken

its number 2 in the pic above ,,,,the other end of it goes to the shifter lever ,,, usaly it brakes by the shift lever and then your indicator is off ----the part is about $30 ----

in the pic above ,,this is the other end by the shifter that brakes,,, number 10 ....

if you need more info on this just , ask , we can go back and forth on this page

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Is this something my husband can do - he is mechanical but not a pro?

yes he should be able to do it ----I charge $160 to install this thing ,,, so it he takes his time he can save you some money ----he does not any weird tools or anything ,,, and if he has any problems, just have him drop me a line on this page and I will give him a hand